••• TWENTY-THREE •••

Ashton

    "Ashton?" Sophie asked as she paced back and forth in my apartment and I sat on the couch in a daze. "Please say something?" She begged and I shook my head in disbelief as I slowly raised my eyes to meet hers.

  "I'm only twenty-four and I'm having a baby." I breathed out still in complete and utter shock and placed my face in my hands.

  "I know, I'm barely twenty-two! I don't know how it happened, Ashton. I'm on the pill, we use condoms, like it genuinely doesn't make any sense how I got pregnant." She said, her voice raising as she started to panic.

  "I'm not blaming you for getting pregnant, Sophie. It was just one of those freak accidents. So," I slid my hands down my face as I looked up at her, but she was still pacing frantically in my living room. "What do you want to do?" I asked and she looked at me in confusion.

  "What do you mean what do I want to do? This is your baby too, Ashton. I can't make this decision by myself!" She exclaimed and I slowly stood up as I shook my head.

  "What I mean is that it's your body, Sophia. I have no say as to what you want to do with your body, but whatever you decide to do I will support you a hundred percent of the way." I said gently and tears filled her eyes causing pain to erupt in my chest. I hated seeing her cry and I hated that I was the reason behind her stress and worries.

  "I... I think I want to keep it." She croaked out and I took in a slow deep breath as I started to nod.

  "Okay, then it's settled. We are going to have a baby, but if you ever change your mind, that's okay too." I said reassuringly and Sophie nodded as she gave me a grateful smile, but then it slowly faded away.

  "But, what about us?" She asked, looking down at her hands and then back up at me.

    The moment we were experiencing right now should've been one of the happiest moments of our lives. But, we were both still extremely hurt by what happened last month and that left me unsure about our relationship. I still loved Sophie and I probably will love her for the rest of my life. She has ruined me for any other woman in this world and I was okay with that. But, she also broke my heart when she basically ghosted me last month and to be honest, I don't think I could go through that pain again.

  "At this point in time, I think we should just focus on your health and the baby. I want to try and make this pregnancy as easy and peaceful for you as possible." I finally said and Sophie bit her lip as she looked out my window.

  "So, you don't want to be with me." She whispered, hurt clear in her voice and I sighed as I walked up to her. I grabbed her chin and turned her face towards me just as a tear escaped her eye and trailed down her cheek.

  "I do want to be with you, Sophie. But, you broke my heart and I broke your trust. I think we just need to focus on you and the baby right now." I said gently as I stroked her cheek and she took in a ragged breath.

  "I'm sorry I hurt you, Ashton." I wiped away another tear with my thumb as I gave her a sad smile.

  "I'm sorry too, Sophie. But, let's just forget about that right now," I placed my other hand on her stomach and we both looked down at my hand. "We're going to have a baby!" I said excitedly and Sophie let out a choked sob as she pressed her forehead against mine.

  "I don't know what I did to deserve you, but I'm really glad I'm having a baby with you, Ashton." She croaked out and I pulled her into my arms as I rested my chin on top of her head and she rested her cheek against my chest.

    Even though we were both happy about having a baby together, it felt like my heart was breaking all over again. This felt like the end of our romantic relationship, but like the beginning of a new relationship as parents. I squeezed her close to me as we both cried and prayed that someday we would be able to fix us.