24. elegance in chaos

"Make way for His Majesty, Claude de Alger Obelia, and the Lady (Y/n) (L/n)!"

The third and final day of the grand feast arrived. The entrance to the banquet and the stares of the people as both you and Claude walked down the staircase was something you've long gotten used to. 

What unsettled you was how you spotted your sister in the crowd. Not because you felt uncomfortable or threatened by her presence, but because you recalled the Count's words towards you during your last meeting.

"That you might not be the one to accompany His Majesty on the third and final day of the celebration."

A smile made its way up to your lips. You were the victor — his partner for all three days of the celebration. Both the Count and your sister couldn't do anything about it. 

"What are you laughing to yourself about, Lady (Y/n)?" Felix tilted his head. Claude was busy with political ties again, so the red haired knight took it upon himself to keep you company, "Is the party that enjoyable?"

"Of course it is, but..." another round of small chuckles escape your mouth, which caused Felix to look even more confused, "... Let's just say I'm celebrating my victory."

"Victory? Are you perhaps talking about the success of the celebration?"

"Ah, yeah... Of course I am."

His eyebrows furrowed together, "You don't sound as if I got it right. What are you actually laughing about, My Lady?"

"No, you definitely got it right."

"I don't think I did," he pushed the topic and stood right in front of you.

He figured out the nature of your relationship with Claude very quickly, but he couldn't understand what you meant by victory. Although the reason why he found out that you would be more than just a maid to Claude was because he was there when the two of you first met.

He had an idea, but this time, he didn't.

"No, seriously. You got it right! Can't I just be happy about the fact that I managed to survive all three days of such a grand party without a fuss?" you, once again, bullshitted your way through.

You didn't know how you would explain to Felix about your rather complicated family situation — and quite frankly, you wanted to save him from that much information. 

Felix didn't give up despite your rather convincing statement. He had a hunch that you were hiding something, but what it was exactly was something he didn't know, "Oh, but I should think that—"

"I think that you should go back to where you were before."

Both you and Felix turned around in unison. Claude was standing behind the two of you with his arms crossed and a glare on his face. You felt as if both you and Felix shrunk in size under Claude's intense gaze.

"Yes, Your Majesty," dejected, Felix waved you a small good bye before he walked off in the distance.

He'll be nearby in case you were left alone again in around 30 or so steps behind you.

You turned to your partner for the party, "You have a weird habit of telling Felix to leave."

"And you change too quickly," he rebutted, "I recall that you would go as far as to hide from Felix not too long ago. Now you engage in meaningless gossip?"