20. hesitation is deadly

You stood in front of the golden doors that would soon lead to the main banquet hall within the Garnet Palace. Claude, your partner for the event, was pulled in a small meeting with the rest of the world leaders right before the two of you could officially enter the event venue.

He did ask you to accompany him and even went as far as to mention that majority of the world leaders would bring along their partners to expand social circles and connections, but you declined. You didn't have the education needed to keep up with conversation with such distinguished people, and you were afraid of causing a stain of Obelia's reputation should you make a mistake.

Now, you waited for him to return. 

Originally, you wanted to enter by yourself ( because you'd attract less attention that way ), but he insisted that the two of you enter together. You had to agree, because how could you disobey the emperor on such an important day?

However, even though you agreed, you weren't sure if you were going to do a good job. You did learn how to dance, and you managed to approach Felix to ask about what Claude usually does in such events, so you had an idea on what to expect, but you still couldn't help yourself from growing nervous. 

Which was understandable, right? Just a few months ago, you were from the modern world. You arrived here after being shot in the head, and you've managed to do well up until now, but that was when you were just Claude's maid. Nobody paid attention to you then, but now... His partner for such an event? With such unclear relationship? You weren't sure how to act.

You sighed.

You looked around and spotted two guards by the door that stood before you. 

Is it too late to try and run away?

You hummed as your train of thought traveled further. They'd definitely sell me out to Claude if I run away here, but—

"Don't bother," the voice of the very man you were waiting for snapped you out of your thoughts. You twirled around to see him pushing his hair back further. He didn't look pleased ( does he ever look pleased, though ), so you guessed the small meeting with the other leaders wasn't to his liking, "I told Felix to keep an eye on you."

"What? You actually thought I'd think of running away?" you laughed. You did, but...

Claude shook his head, "Not thought. I knew you would."

You presented him a slight scowl for being right, and your wordless response caused the sides of his lips to lift up slightly. That caught you off guard. You were under the impression that he wasn't in the best mood because of his small meeting before, but he has the energy to flash you a smirk?

Your brows furrowed together. Maybe he wasn't in a bad mood in the first place? I knew he had a resting bitch face, but...

"Cease what ever it is you're thinking of. I'm sure that small head of yours is filled with nothing but useless thoughts as always. It's about time we greet our esteemed guests," you didn't miss the forced emphasis he placed on chosen words. He extended a hand out toward you before he gazed to the front, confident that you would place your hand on his.