Older times...

Third person pov

Somewhere in 1960s or 1970s

In the heart of the 1960s or 1970s stood a house that was a sight to behold. This beautiful abode was constructed entirely from wood, which gave it a distinct, welcoming aura, while the ground floor boasted of stone foundations far larger than your average bricks. Above this sturdy base, there was an intricately carved stone that marked the entrance.

This entrance led to a cozy shed, a nurturing space for domesticated animals. In this homely shed resided a cow named Kamala, provided with a bed of dry grass for warmth and a tub of fresh grass and water for nourishment. Kamala wasn't just any cow; she was considered beautiful by those who cared for her, showing the deep bond between the family and their domesticated friends.

Above the ground level, the house rose majestically with two more floors, each paneled and polished with wood and topped with slate rock roofing, giving it both charm and durability. A staircase connected the ground to the first floor, carving a path through the home's heart.

The household buzzed with activity, a flurry of excitement that could only mean one thing: a boy was coming to ask for Rajshree's hand in marriage. Amidst the chaos, a voice rang out, that of a woman in her early fifties, laden with the weight of preparation, "Arrey, can someone feed Kamala? I'm swamped here."

Without missing a beat, the eldest son responded with a tone of responsibility, "Maa, I'll take care of it. Just focus on the cooking."

This family, vibrant and full of life, had welcomed their firstborn son with joy unparalleled, yet the father harbored a wish for a daughter. His longing was met with skepticism and traditional concerns, voicing out the societal view of a daughter being a responsibility until she marries into another family. But Mastram stood his ground, countering their worries with a simple, "You don't have to worry. Just eat and leave."

Ram was the firstborn in the family, and two years later, they were blessed with Rajshree. Upon her arrival into the world, her father celebrated in a manner that many found bewildering—he distributed sweets and set off firecrackers, an act that led many in their village to question his sanity. Such was the essence of their village life, steeped in traditional beliefs and conservative views. Mastram, however, remained an outlier to these orthodox practices.

Ram had his daily chores, one of which included taking care of Gau Mata, Kamala the cow, providing her with water and grass. Meanwhile, Rajshree, after adorning herself for the day, joined her mother in the kitchen to assist with the household duties.

Among her adornments were anklets, a gift from her brothers, Ram and Devendra, on her birthday. Realizing the occasion, and with limited funds, they decided that a pair of anklets was the best gift they could afford, thereby each brother giving her one from the set.

Rajshree wore a simple yet elegant yellow suit paired with a salwar, complemented by a grey jacket, known locally as a 'sadri'. Her attire was further adorned with a printed 'dhatu' (scarf) draped over her head, small earrings, a delicate nose pin, and a shy smile that played upon her lips, enhancing her charm. Bangles clinked softly around her wrists, adding to her graceful appearance.

On this particular day, their routine was interrupted by the arrival of three individuals; a young man in his late twenties, accompanied by an older couple in their late fifties. They drove up to the first floor of the house, where a room had been prepared especially for them. Moving from the veranda, they entered the room, finding solace in its warmth from the chill outside.

The young man, Ramshankar, stood out with his attire—a crisp blue coat and pants, set against a white shirt. Unlike the rural backdrop of his early years, Ramshankar had made a life for himself in the city. Despite his urban residence, he hailed from Sirmai, the very village he was currently visiting. However, Sirmai was divided in two, with Rajshree residing on one side and Ramshankar's family home on the other. His journey to the city had begun at a young age, leaving behind the vistas of his divided hometown.