Chapter-4

Date 16 October 2024 Wednesday

Third person pov

Aadhavi was immersed in work alongside her colleagues when her phone rang with a call from her mom. Politely excusing herself, she stepped into her cabin to answer.

"Hello? Yes, Mom?" Aadhavi's voice was laced with confusion.

Sarasvati, on the other end, couldn't hide her irritation. "Where are your manners? Is a proper greeting too much to ask for? Or did I interrupt something important?"

"Namaste, Mumma. No, you didn't interrupt anything. What's the reason for your call?"

"I just wanted to know, when will you be back home?" Sarasvati inquired.

"This Sunday, most likely. Why do you ask?" Aadhavi replied.

"There's something I need you to do. Could you buy some suits, dhatu (the traditional head scarves from Himachal Pradesh and Uttrakhand), and pashmina shawls and kulvi mufflers?" Sarasvati's tone carried an expectation.

"Hmm, alright. But, how many of each?" Aadhavi inquired, already mentally preparing a shopping list.

"Let's see... about 10 suits, 20 dhatus, 3 pashmina shawls, and don't forget 4 kulvi mufflers. Please, remember it all," Sarasvati instructed.

"Okay, got it. Bye then."

"And make sure you're eating on time!" Sarasvati added, her voice mixed with care and a mild reprimand.

"Alright, Mother Teresa. Now, I really need to go," Aadhavi said, half-jokingly, before ending the call.

After hanging up, Aadhavi paused to consider the best course of action. Deciding it was too much for her to handle, she sent a detailed list of the items to Isvari, hoping she could help with the shopping.

Resuming her work, Aadhavi hoped Isvari would actually accept the idea of shopping.

Meanwhile, Isvari was wrapped up in a discussion, sharing her innovative ideas with Soumya, her friend and colleague. When she finally checked her messages, she couldn't help but sigh at the lengthy shopping list awaiting her.

Noticing Soumya nearby, she asked, "Hey Soumya, would you mind joining me on Mall Road after work? I've got a mountain of shopping to do."

"Sure thing, I'm free anyway. Let's have dinner out," Soumya suggested.

"Great, I'll just let my sister know I might be back late," she replied, quickly sending a message.

As she sent the message, they shifted their conversation to her new book...

Meanwhile, Aadhavi noticed her sister's WhatsApp message and responded with a thumbs-up. As she returned to her tasks, her friend Ragini rushed over, waving a letter excitedly.

"Hey Avi! Another letter for your sister from her pen pal," Ragini announced, handing it over.

"Just put it in my bag, please. I'm swamped," Aadhavi requested, hardly looking up from her work.

"Okay," Ragini complied, slipping the letter into Aadhavi's bag before settling next to her desk. "Need help picking out a theme color?"

"They're dreaming of a royal wedding, so I'm leaning towards red and gold. What do you think?" Aadhavi pondered aloud.

"That sounds stunning," Ragini marveled.

"Thanks for stepping in, Ragini. I really need a breather, plus I've been missing my family. It's been ages since we visited the village," Aadhavi expressed her gratitude.