Chapter 21

Li Wuting's gaze remained fixed on the two hands clasped tightly together, his lips moving as if he wanted to speak but then deciding against it.

Ning Rushen was still by his side, leaning in to listen attentively, covering his ears.

De Quan sneakily stole a glance and saw Ning Rushen covering his ear to listen to the Emperor's whispered words, his face beaming with a smile:

Before Li Wuting could speak, De Quan was about to turn his head to look, but then he felt a warm, ticklish sensation brush over the back of his hand. A deep voice, muffled by Li Wuting's hand, spoke softly, shaking his eardrums:

He couldn't help but correct, "It's clearly Your Majesty—"

As he turned, he almost bumped into Li Wuting face to face.

His heart skipped a beat, so he quickly tilted his head back and leaned against the edge of the table, continuing, "You always consult my ears..."

"What?"

Li Wuting looked at him closely, his eyes deep.

Ning Rushen shivered, retracting the words "repeatedly" that were about to slip out of his mouth, "...repeatedly seeking advice."

A snicker fell beside him:

"What, am I eager for your ears?"

"..."

Ning Rushen still felt the lingering sensation, finding the mention of eager and thirsty ears somewhat intriguing. Unfortunately, the speaker was serious and oblivious.

He quickly changed the subject, "Your Majesty, weren't you going to answer my questions?"

Li Wuting hadn't actually intended to tell the truth, but he was in a playful mood. Seeing Ning Rushen still looking alert, he simply said,

"It seems Minister Ning doesn't want to hear, so I won't say."

Ning Rushen: ...

Was he bargaining with him?

His throat moved. Between "a brief shiver" and "a lifetime of heartache," he chose the former, resigning himself to it.

After all, he had shivered so many times before.

Ning Rushen thought deeply, closed his eyes, and offered up his already warming ears. "Your Majesty, please speak. I am ready."

There was a moment of silence by his ears.

Then, a voice fell, "Ning Qing, you are truly..."

But the warm breath did not brush against his earlobe.

The next moment, a hand pressed on his shoulder, pushing him away slightly. Ning Rushen turned his head: ?

Li Wuting stood up, not answering the question, but also not teasing his ears again.

Ning Rushen was puzzled: ...Is this a diversion?

Just as he was about to ask, a voice came from outside, announcing, "Your Majesty, Commander of Jin Yiwei, Yin Zhao, seeks an audience!"

Li Wuting nodded, "Let him in."

Ning Rushen stopped and stepped aside.

Soon, Yin Zhao walked in briskly. His golden-red flowing fish-patterned robe was majestic, and his embroidered spring knife was cold and ruthless.

"Reporting to Your Majesty, there has been progress in the case."

Li Wuting gestured, "Speak."