Chapter 138

- A few moments earlier -

The streets of Orario were mostly quiet as most of the population watched the war games in their favorite pub or at the central plaza.

The usually busy streets were now devoid of people, with only a few civilians here and there who were either heading towards the two hot spots, which are the central plaza or the Hostess of Fertility.

And for Bell and the adventurers he gathered... It was perfect. Most people were watching the anticipated clash between the Apollo familia and the Heracles familia. It is safe to assume that everyone in Orario held great excitement for the clash that was about to happen, especially since August, the hero of the city, is involved.

So it's safe to assume that no one would be expecting something to happen, especially not the lots of Soma familia.

They were enjoying the festivities, with some members even going out and mingling with the rowdy crowd at the plaza. This meant that only a handful of them were left in their home base, Zanis being one of them.

The captain of the Soma familia had no interest in the war; he only values one thing, and that thing is power and wealth. He was lucky, for him, joining the Soma familia and becoming its captain was nothing short of a goldmine, especially since the god has no interest in leading the familia and was only ever interested in making wine.

This had led him to the opportunity to control the familia, amassing a mountain of riches due to the legendary brew the god Soma created. The alcohol was like a drug, and people who tasted it, be it mortal or god, clamored to get more of it. It formed an addiction, and for Zanis, that addiction means more profit.

Yet despite that, it still did not quench his thirst for more. More power, more wealth, he craved it like a drug. That was his addiction.

This led to other businesses. Those that would be on the darker side of the spectrum. Businesses like loaning, trafficking, blackmail, and the most taboo of all... Rookie hunting.

Zanis had crossed that line multiple times, targeting unsuspecting rookies and exploiting them, taking their hard-earned work in the dungeon, and killing them, whether they cooperated or not. It was essential; they didn't want to have the authority breathing down their necks.

And killing inside the dungeon would be the quickest way to erase the evidence. An adventurer after all isn't a safe job, so death was a norm in Orario, plus the body would vanish as monsters would rip the flesh and gore on it. Quick and easy, with no trace going to them.

And Lili was their Golden goose when it comes to this part of their business. She was, to put it plainly, "cute and innocent," a face many would trust.

Make no mistake, Lili wanted no part of this; she finds it disgusting, but she didn't have a choice. She owed them a debt... No, it is more accurate to say that Soma familia owned her.

She blames it on her weakness; she had developed an addiction to the spirit Soma created, amassing a large sum of money just to have a taste of the brew. One of the favorite schemes of Zanis.

With the amount she owed, she had basically become a slave to Zanis and his whims, having no choice but to follow.

And she admits, she had done things she regretted; she had witnessed how Zanis laughed as his men tormented, tortured, robbed, and killed the rookies she led into the dungeon. Sometimes they would use monster bait and let the mob do the deed, having sadistic pleasure as they watched monsters tear them limb from limb.

As the years passed, Lili grew numb to it. She learned how to turn off her feelings, to detach herself. She now had a singular purpose, and that was to pay off the debt and to get out of the disgusting familia.