Chapter 21

As the first light of dawn crept across the sky, Shubman was already up and about, his mind focused on the day's practice. The ground was alive with the sounds of cricket; the thud of the ball hitting the bat, the calls of the players, the rhythm of running feet. Hardik bowled with precision, and Shubman responded in kind, his bat slicing through the air to meet the ball with a satisfying crack.

But then, without warning, a wave of dizziness washed over him. His vision blurred, and the ground seemed to tilt. Hardik was at his side in an instant, his strong hands steadying Shubman as he swayed.

Rohit, ever the leader, guided him to the bench with a firm hand on his shoulder. The medics arrived swiftly, their professional eyes assessing as they checked Shubman's vitals. "Nothing to worry about," the doctor announced. "He's just tired. Give him some fruits and glucose. Let him rest today, and in fact, let everyone rest today."

Rohit's nod was a silent agreement, his concern evident. Hardik supported Shubman back to their room, a glass of glucose ready in his hand. "Have some fruits, Shub," he said, his voice a blend of command and care.

Shubman complied, the sweetness of the fruit a sharp contrast to the lingering taste of fatigue. He sat on his bed, the world around him quieting down as he took a moment to himself. Hardik remained, a silent sentinel, until the others arrived.

Dinesh, known as DK to the team, approached with a brotherly concern. "Are you fine, Shub?" he asked.

Shubman nodded, his voice steady. "Yes, DK bhai, I am fine."

Hardik's suggestion of shopping later brought a semblance of normalcy. "Rest for a while, and then we'll go for shopping. I need to buy something for Nats."

Shubman agreed, the prospect of a distraction welcome. The room emptied, leaving him in solitude until Anvi's call came through. Her face, etched with worry, filled the screen. "Anvi, I am fine. Don't worry," Shubman reassured her.

Anvi's concern was palpable. "But, how can you feel dizzy so suddenly?" she asked.

Shubman's explanation was simple. "It's maybe because I'm tired. And it's 3 am there, why aren't you asleep?"

Anvi's dedication was clear. "I was studying, and then DK bhai messaged me that you were feeling dizzy, so I called you."

Shubman's concern for her well-being mirrored her own for him. "I am okay, now you sleep. Don't you have college tomorrow?" he asked.

Anvi's response brought relief. "No, tomorrow is a holiday."

Their conversation turned to family, to normalcy, and finally to goodbyes. "Yeah, I will call them. Now sleep, good night," Shubman said, ending the call.

 Now sleep, good night," Shubman said, ending the call

Talking to @shubmangill at 3am

Talking to @shubmangill at 3am. P.S. It is 9am for him as he is in 🇳🇿 

Comments
abhisheksharma_4:
Only couples talk at that time @anvi_jadhav
                                        ↪anvi_jadhav: We are just best friends.
dk00019: 3am? Seriously who does that?
                  ↪anvi_jadhav: psychopaths like me
maanya_jadhav: Nah devils like me😈😈
                                  ↪anvi_jadhav: You and devil🤣🤣
yuzi_chahal23: Recorded for Yuzi Channel. Please check it.
                              ↪shahneelgill: Waiting for it.
shubmangill: Wait a minute, @anvi_jadhav, @maanya_jadhav, @abhisheksharma_4 and @shahneelgill aren't you guys sleeping?
                          ↪anvi_jadhav: Nah!
                                                        ↪shahneelgill: We are scrolling through Instagram.
hardikpandya93: Why is the picture black and white?
                                  ↪anvi_jadhav: Because they are aesthetics.
virat.kohli: Shub, if your chatting is done, please rest.
                      ↪shubmangill: Yes sir
                                                     ↪virat.kohli: That's my boy.
shubman.gill.fan: Are they dating?
                                   ↪ictfan.forever: I don't think so.

View More Comments

He set his phone aside and stepped out onto the balcony, the fresh air a balm to his senses. But soon, Hardik's voice called him back to reality. "Shub, come on. We need to go for lunch."

Lunch was a pre-ordered affair, Virat ensuring everyone's dietary needs were met. Shubman ate his protein salad and drank his electrolytes, the routine grounding him. Then, a moment of relaxation on the couch before Hardik's voice once again prompted action. "Shub, come let's go to the mall."

The mall was a flurry of activity, a stark contrast to the tranquility of the cricket field. Hardik was on a video call with Natasha, showing her jewelry options, while Shubman found a place that crafted personalized necklaces.

"Hello, I wanted a customized necklace," Shubman said, his thoughts on Anvi.

"Can you tell me the name, please?" the shopkeeper asked.

"Anvi," Shubman replied, a smile touching his lips as he imagined her reaction.

The necklace was crafted with care, a tangible symbol of affection. Shubman paid and rejoined Hardik, who was now perusing perfumes. Together, they selected scents for their loved ones, Natasha's input invaluable.

"Coffee?" Hardik suggested after their purchases were complete.

Shubman agreed, and they settled in the cafe, their conversation easy and unguarded. But it was interrupted by a shrill voice calling out, "Shub?"

Suhana Khan stood there, her presence unexpected. "I came to cheer for you, Shub," she said.

Shubman's response was firm, yet polite. "My name is Shubman. Only my loved ones can call me Shub," he said, setting boundaries.

Suhana's request to join was met with a gentle refusal. "No please, I have good company. I will tell again to Shah Rukh sir if you bother me," Shubman said, his loyalty to his friends clear.

Suhana's feelings were laid bare, but Shubman stood his ground. "Stop it, Suhana, just leave us alone. Let's go, Harry bhai," he said, and they left the mall, the encounter a brief cloud on an otherwise clear day.

Dinner was a quiet affair, and as the jet lag returned, Shubman's bed called to him. He messaged his family, his words a promise of future conversations, and then sleep claimed him, deep and restorative.

 He messaged his family, his words a promise of future conversations, and then sleep claimed him, deep and restorative