13. Diaz

Ellis walked briskly towards the wide glass doors of the station and reached out for the metal handle. She looked over her shoulder and smiled at Gus before pulling the door open and walking in. She passed the open door to Gus so he and Eric could follow and they all stood for a moment taking in their surroundings.

The station was small. The floor was planks of dark wood and the walls an off-white colour, with wooden beams connecting each corner of the room at the ceiling. There was a stag head mounted on the wall above some chairs which lined up along one side of the room and the other side was a wooden door, labelled with a gold plaque which read 'Byrde'. Along the wall next to it was covered with framed pictures of men and women (mainly men) in dark navy police uniforms. Every frame was adorned with a smaller version of the gold name plaques engraved with names of officers trailing decades back.
At the far side of the room was a desk, sparsely decorated with a bell, a newtons cradle, some little carved wooden bears and a few other small tchotchkes.

Ellis took a few more steps forward into the middle of the room and lifted Steph down so she stood beside her before walking over to the desk and dinging the small metal bell gently with the palm of her hand.

"Where's the cops?" Gus observed, looking around the room for any other human company.

Gus's question was perfectly timed for right at that moment another voice was heard from the unlit corridor that channeled down the side of the front desk.
"Woahhh what is going on here?!" A voice boomed.
The kids all looked up in surprise and turned their attention to the darkness. Ellis squinted here eyes to try and get a look at who was in the shadows but her attempt was in vain. It was far too dark. The figure stepped out from the corridor and into the dimly lit reception area. It was a homely looking man, with large rosy cheeks and a rounded figure. He wore a navy uniform like the officers in the picture with a small golden shield badge pinned to his lapel titled, 'ESMERALDA SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT'
Below the badge was a series of other badges of all shapes and patterns. One was a pink pin in the shape of a rosette and read 'DAD' in glittery silver letters. There was a unicorn one, a dog with a sombrero, a rose and a few others.

He moved closer to the group of children, a confused look painted across his face. Ellis smiled slightly and cleared her throat before speaking up, "hello sir," she said confidently, gripping Steph's hand.

"What can I help you with today littl'uns?" The man boomed. He leaned pulled a chair away from the wall and perched down on in to put himself at a level height with the children.

"We need to contact our Dad," Ellis said, looking over to August and Eric who shared a lost expression.

"Righto," the man spoke up, "you lot live around here?"

"No sir we are from Los Angeles," Steph chimed in.

"LOS ANGELES?!" The officer exclaimed in surprise, "my my how have you managed to get lost from L.A. to Nevada?"

"I don't know maybe we were kidnapped I don't remember," Ellis lied, praying her plan would work.

The burly man sat back and sighed, contemplating how he was going to deal with this situation.

"Can i get your names?" He asked, glancing over at the other three children, smiling warmly at them.

"Ellis, Stephanie, August and Eric," Ellis informed him.

"You got a surname that goes with that?"

"Diaz."

___________________________________

"Come on Chris you'll be late for school," Eddie called into the hallway, frantically packing food into a box for Christopher's lunch whilst trying to eat a bagel himself.
"Coming Daddddd"
"Don't forget your homework!"
"I can't find it!"
Eddie huffed and started walking towards Chris's room when the phone rang.
"Hello?"
"Hi there is this Mr Edmundo Diaz speaking?"
"Yes that's me can i ask who's calling?"
"This is Officer Byrde from Esmeralda P.D. Nevada, I have your four children."
"My four children? what?"
"Yes sir they say their names are Ellis, Stephanie, August and Eric."
Eddie shuffled uncomfortably and rubbed his forehead with his palm.
"Did you say Stephanie?" He asked.
"Yes shes one of them, small, dark hair, green eyes..."
"Oh my god..." Eddie whispered under his breath.
"So are you coming to get 'em or do i need to get child services out here to take 'em for you?"
"No no don't do that I'll be there as soon as possible."
"Great see you soon thank you Mr.Diaz"

"Who was that Dad?" Chris piped in, grabbing his schoolbag and water bottle.
"I've gotta go to Nevada Chris so I'm going to get Carla to get you from school and I'll try to be back by the morning."
"Why?"
"Just meeting an old friend."
"Okay but can we go to school now i don't want to be late?"
"Yeah yeah sure go get in the car I'll bring your lunch."
—————————————
Authors note:
Sorry Eddie isn't in this book much atm its all a bit slow but i rly appreciate everyone who is reading this I'm so grateful for all of you <3
Also the first episode of season 7 is finally out in the UK so i watched that last night and its so good but i can't believe they left it on such a cliffhanger and i have to wait until next Wednesday for another episode 😭
Byeeeee ❤️