7

After a few days, Karina said she had a surprise for me. I wasn't sure what to expect until she took me to a room furnished with books. She referred to it as a library but also said some call it a study or archive.

"You can stay in here while I train. I know you adore books, and reading delights you, so take whatever your heart desires; we have everything. I only ask that you do not tarnish the books and return them to their proper place. These texts are quite old and delicate, so take care of them, Sayora."

"I understand."

"I will see you later. Do not leave this room. If anyone bothers you, notify a guard, and I will come running."

"Yes, Princess," I nodded.

She left, and I broke out into the biggest grin once I realized I hadn't seen a book in quite some time. Books are often expensive and hard to find, but they're available to everyone, even humans. Most commoners don't read, but the ones that do enjoy expanding their knowledge.

When my mother would visit my sister and me after many months at the castle, she would gift me a book or two. I thought she obtained them from a merchant in our village, but she also might've taken a few from the castle. No wonder the quality always varied, and I couldn't keep the fancier ones.

I had the library to myself, so I went from section to section and examined the many tiers of books. Most were out of my reach, but that didn't stop me from grabbing the nearest chair. I even used the grand staircase to ascend to the top floor. The library held so many books that I had difficulties picking from the vast collection.

After searching tirelessly, to no avail, I closed my eyes and glided my fingertips along the rough spines, slowly trekking from one end of the library to the other until I stopped to pull a book from its shelf.

"The History of Lycans," I read aloud. "Oh, how fitting."

My eagerness caused me to sling the heavy thing open as I lowered myself to the floor. I then tried to delve in but realized the language was far more advanced than mine. I couldn't understand most of its wording because the book incorporated a unique writing style.

"I guess I'll look for—"

I jumped when the door to the library creaked open. I quickly sat my book aside and peered through the railing.

"This nonsensical bickering between Elders must stop. The king is already riddled with stress and does not need..."

The man jerked his eyes in my direction, and I inaudibly gasped as I quietly inched away from the barrier.

"Who goes there? Show yourself."

I swiftly stood upon request, gathering my book simultaneously.

"You are?" His voice echoed through the distance.

"I-I'm Sayora, the princess's servant."

"And what brings you to the library, Sayora, the princess's servant?"

"The princess said I could stay here while she trains. I was only looking for a book to pass the time."

"That sounds about right." A sharp, disapproving cackle erupted from the woman beside him. "The princess is always leaving her things unattended. How old are you, dear? You look rather young to be in the castle."

"I'm eighteen."

"Humph, practically a babe. How—"

The man tilted his hand towards the woman's face, curtly stopping her from proceeding. "That piece of literature you hold is a tough one to grasp. Do you comprehend it?" He asked.