5

Everything changed after my talk with Ms. Rita. Axel came for me as soon as he could, and we left the kitchens and ventured away from the secluded area.

"Axel?" I whispered his name. Everything was happening so fast that I needed to catch my breath. "Can we take a small break? I need—"

"The princess is waiting for you."

"But...why didn't you tell me?"

"I did, inadvertently."

"But..." I huffed when he wouldn't stop.

"Axel?"

"We should keep moving. The princess might get impatient," he insisted.

I hurried forward to match his pace, and Axel took me through a maze of halls and staircases. We passed many guards on our way, and I tried to mimic his movements to the best of my abilities.

"Your room." We eventually stopped at a door, one of many. Axel stepped aside and encouraged me to open it, but I refused to move as I tried to force my frustrations away. I was a bit overwhelmed.

"Just yesterday, you were excited to learn more about the lycans. You even wanted to get closer. What changed?"

"Yesterday, my sense of normalcy was intact, and I was content. Today, I'm not. Can I have a moment, please, a moment to myself?"

"Fine, just a moment." Axel opened the door.

I thanked him before slowly walking in and dragging my eyes over the room. It was bigger than the other one but only had one bed instead of four. I quickly went to it and noticed a stack of clothes, two pairs of shoes, and other necessities.

"Once you've calmed down, get ready."

Axel closed the door, and I rushed to the small circular window. It looked big enough to stick my head through, so I searched for a latch and pulled it open. The cool breeze instantly calmed my nerves.

"Better. Much better," I spoke to myself. "Be happy, Sayora. This opportunity is wonderful, so do your best and be grateful. Prove yourself worthy of having such a renowned position," I tried to reassure. "Mom would be so proud of you."

It didn't take long before I marched to the bed and removed my old uniform. I grabbed my new one and slipped it on. Both dresses were nearly similar, except the new one was much softer, the color was brighter, the sleeves were shorter, and the stitching was finer. The garment also felt lighter despite being so long it grazed my ankles.

Once I straightened out my uniform, I grabbed a new set of flats and stepped into them. I bounced a few times on my toes, immediately noticing how flexible the material was. These shoes were crafted more delicately and wouldn't cause blisters as I broke them in.

When done, I went to the door and took a deep breath before pulling it open. Axel stood on the other side, waiting for me.

"H-How should I style my hair? Should I continue to keep the strands out of my face?"

"My mistress is specific about how she likes things. You'll have to ask her."

"Okay," I nodded.

"Remember your room because this is where you will stay every night after dismissal."

"Okay." My eyes lingered on the door.

"Any questions?"

"No, Axel."

"Fantastic. Follow me."

I followed Axel through more intimidating halls and staircases. We trotted around corners, journeyed past rooms, and continued further into the castle. I've never seen anything more vast or advanced. How do the royals live so differently from us—so grand and sumptuously?