1

"Here, change into this." A girl handed me a stack of dresses and a pair of flats.

"We get trousers and a wooly sweater during the winter months. The environment gets cold then, too cold for our warm bodies."

"Thank you." I sat my uniforms on my bottom bunk and unfolded one of the dresses. I placed it on my figure and was surprised it stopped far below my knees. I didn't think it would be so modest.

"Hurry now. We need to report to our superior before the day starts."

The girl turned to leave, but I stopped her. "Excuse me. I'm sorry, but I forgot your name again." I looked down in embarrassment. She had already told me twice, but I couldn't remember it. I guess my poor memory is the result of my nervousness. My nerves were so bad that I couldn't find my wits. I think they're buried underneath my sweaty palms and trembling knees.

"It's Rosie. I'll be outside when you're ready."

Rosie left the small room, and I quickly removed my old clothes. I pulled my new dress over my head. Then, I stuffed my arms into its sleeves and fixed everything before slipping my shoes on and rushing out the door. We left the servants' quarters and made the long trek to the castle. We passed many dwellings, and I stood idly by as Rosie greeted her many companions. It wasn't until we arrived outside the enormous castle that she turned serious.

"We prioritize order here, so you must pull your weight like everyone else. Our superiors are strict, so I'll advise you against slacking off."

I nodded as Rosie showed me to the back entrance.

"There are many positions here, but all aren't accessible. We have ranks, which determine where we work. Since you're new, you will start at the bottom like everyone else."

"All right."

"We have a few shitholes you can work in," she laughed. "I started out shoveling feces in the barn. Then, I worked in the fields, growing and harvesting our crops. Now, I'm in the kitchens."

"Where must I start?" I asked.

"In the barns or the fields. Or, maybe cleaning the female quarters or lycan barracks; both are just as awful."

"Oh, I..."

I stopped when a stern voice called out to Rosie. Rosie snapped her attention to the sound and immediately greeted an older woman.

"Morning, Ms. Rita."

"Rosie, I expected your presence long before now. What took you so long?"

"I apologize, Ms. Rita. I have a shadow today, and she's rather slow."

Ms. Rita turned her gaze on me, and I stood as she eyed my person. "Ah, yes, our newest recruit. How could I forget." She observed my body from head to toe and paid close attention to my uniform.

"Rosie, you may leave."

Rosie left without another word, and Ms. Rita continued her keen observation. Her scrutinizing gaze made me want to tug on my dress. "How does your uniform fit?" She strolled up to me.

"The shoes fit nicely, but the dress is snug."

"Yes, I see." Ms. Rita motioned for me to turn. I slowly did as instructed before refacing her.

"The dress is stiff and tight around my chest, but the material flares over my hips," I explained.

"Yes, you have a full figure—a woman's body." Ms. Rita grabbed my hands and examined them thoroughly. "I can see you've never worked before."

"No, ma'am, I haven't."

"Hmm, well, the labor is intense. Your hips and breasts will shrink once your body adjusts to the work. You'll have a smaller frame soon, and your dress will fit too big."