TEN - ADELAIDE

I was tired. My brothers were tired. Clearly the sun was tired, because it just continued to sag lower and lower into the sky, which was not ideal for us, having nowhere to go. Most importantly, the horses were tired. I could tell. Their pace was noticeably slower than an hour ago. I felt bad for them, but we had to keep moving. Who knows what is out in these woods?

Let me explain.

Ultimately, my brothers had collectively decided that we were going to run away. I was not involved in this conversation, but it's okay, I had more important things to worry about at that moment.

That was this morning. We spent the rest of the day preparing the horses for a long ride, and packing up necessities, like food for a week, and enough clean water to last until we came up with a filtration solution.

And now, here we were, almost 9 miles deep into the woods, the sun dipping below the horizon at a scarily speedy rate. 

It had not been an easy choice, but I agreed with it. I did. not want to be separated from my brothers just to be sent to a home that would probably treat me the same as I was treated at my old one.

We called our friends before we left. We did not tell them our plans, we just told them that we thought they should know how much them meant to us. I thought for sure Connor would tell Eiffel he loved her, seeing as, as long as we make it to the other end of these woods, they may never meet again. Sadly, that did not happen. Just the typical awkward conversation.

She wanted him to say it. I know she did. She would have said it herself by now if her family hadn't been so conservative, still wholeheartedly believing in the idea that the male should be the one to make drastic moves like that.

"Guys, look," Alex said, pointing at a spot in front of us. I looked in that direction, and saw a small building like structure. 

It could hardly be called a house. More like a lump in the ground. Its ceiling was a big dome that led straight into the ground in a way that reminded me of Patrick's house in SpongeBob.

It was mostly make out of mud, clay, and leaves, as it appeared, but it looked pretty solid, having what looked like it was supposed to be a door.

"This feels like the beginning of every horror story," Connor remarked, guiding Friday in the direction of the mound.

"Feels to me like a safe, warm place to sleep." Alex said.

"That's an awful idea," I snapped at him, "do you want to get killed?"

"No," he said, " but if you have any better idea, I'm all ears,"

I was not in favor of this at all, but Alex was right. It was supposed to drop to 30 degrees Farenheight tonight, and this hut, which was more a hole in the ground than a hut, was going to provide us shelter and warmth through that harsh weather.

"Fine," I sighed, "but if we die, I'm blaming you."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note

Hello everybody! Apologies for the late upload today. The internet was being difficult on Thursday, which is when I usually write Friday's chapters, and today there was a power outage from when I got home from school until time of writing. What's important is that it is out now, so thank you for your patience.

Tenth part! Might not seem like the biggest accomplishment, but I am proud of myself, as well as thankful for you all, for providing me with the inspiration to keep writing. I think that my writing has improved, even in this short amount of time. I very likely have you to thank.

I really do appreciate all of the support on this story. I love to read comments from you guys, it means a lot. I can't believe we are almost at 200 reads. Incomprehensible to me.

Okay! Hopefully Monday's chapter will be on time. See you then (hopefully).