Chapter 6: Park

September 18, 2018

I don't really know who could have taken my earbuds, but looking for them was better than going to school. I followed the map my app gave me. It seemed they weren't that far from where I was. Take a right turn by the stop sign, then a left at the park. The park... I haven't been to that park in a very long time. Not only was it the only place that divided the rich kids with the middle class, but it was the place where my parents and I would hang out every Sunday. I looked at the app again, my earbuds were in the park. I didn't want to go in there. Who knows what type of memories will come out of me? What things will trigger me to remember what I want to forget? I stood at the entrance of the park, with my phone showing me I was only five minutes away from my earbuds. It will only be for a few minutes. I thought, trying to persuade myself to go in. So with all the strength I could build up in myself, I stepped into the park.

I tried not to look up from my phone, afraid that anything from this park would force me to recall something about my parents. It's not that I don't want to remember them, but everything about them is a reminder of what I said to them before they died. 

I was very close to the location now, so I started to speed walk to get out of here as soon as possible. When the app said I was right by it, I forced myself to look up. When I did, I bumped into someone, who was also on their phone, I noticed earbuds on them. I didn't pay attention to who it was, only to the earbuds.

"Those are mine!" I pointed. They took them off.

"What?" They said, I could hear music coming from the earbuds even though I was a few feet apart from them.

"Those are mine." I said again more aggravated. I looked at the person and noticed they were a girl with black hair with a blue streak of blue. That's when I remembered she was from my school, Haylen. She was a part of the rich kid neighborhood, but for some weird reason she begged her parents to take her to the public school instead of the private Harold High that most of the rich kids go to.

"No, these are mine. Why would I have yours?" She said confused, but I could hear the nervousness in her voice. Everyone in our school knew I had a temper, she must be worried that I might burst at her. I showed her my phone. The app showed I was right by my earbuds.

"Why else would my app lead me to you?" I snapped although I didn't notice that I did because I could only think about wanting to leave the park and now this girl is holding me up just because she won't let me take what's mine. I could fight her. No. No! Don't think like that.

"Look, these are mine. I can prove it too!" She showed me the buds, they both had a black circle design by the tips. Mine didn't have that. "See? I would never steal from you!"

Man... I looked at the app again. Was there a mistake?

"Ah..." I disappointedly said out loud, "I'm sor-" I looked behind her to see another kid I knew, Hugo. I pushed Haylen to the side. She looked upset that I did that, but didn't say anything. I stared at Hugo. When he noticed me, he smiled and waved something to the sky, my earbuds. Then he started to walk up to me.

"Hey M!" He said smoothly, "Look what I found." I just stared, trying to process why he would have them because he didn't even go to my school. He was the only other rich kid besides Haylen I knew and the only reason I knew him was because we played in this park all the time as kids. I noticed Haylen didn't move. It seemed she was not going to walk away. Maybe she's making sure I don't punch him? I don't know. She watched us curiously, but crossed her arms at me. Or maybe she just wants to know what's going on? Why is she looking at me like that?

"Why do you have those?" I asked Hugo.

"Well~" He started with his high pitched drastic tone. "To make a long story short, you left your bag open when you fought yesterday." He smirked at me and his dusty brown hair fell over his right eye.