Chapter 1: M

September 17, 2018

Pow! I slammed him so hard to the floor.

Pow! Another blow thrown to my jaw.

Fight! Fight! Fight! Was yelled in unison as we exchanged blows.

Don't let your anger take control of you... she said. Just breathe and stay in control, she said! These thoughts just fueled me more when I remembered the words from this morning.

"I had enough of this..." I finally said after a few more minutes of punching the life out of him.

The crowd awwed, upset the show would not continue. I got up, shook off my pants and walked away. The crowd made a way for me to leave and the boy yelled as he staggered to get up off the ground.

"You're a coward! You really think I would let you walk away after you hit me out of nowhere?!"

I didn't answer his shouts. I just continued to walk, I don't think there was anything that he could say to make me fight again-

"Mneme!" He shouted with pure hatred. The crowd graphed at what they heard. No one had ever had the guts to say that to my face.

I clenched my fist and turned around. The crowd that was watching us were shaking in fear. They knew what he had done. They slowly stepped away, not daring to come my way.

"Look, new kid." I snapped, walking up to him with rage in my eyes. My reason was completely gone. I wanted to knock him out cold. "No one calls me that!" I remarked harshly as I looked down at him. He was still struggling to get off the floor.

"Yeah," He coughed and looked up to me, "Well-"

I slammed my fist into his jaw and he knocked out cold. I wiped my hands to get his sweat and blood off them. He never got to finish his sentence.

"Anyone else?" I asked, turning around to the crowd. Silence was all I heard. "Let this be a lesson to all of you!" I screamed, "Don't you dare ever call me by that name! EVER!" Some people staggered back; others ran. They didn't want to be beaten like this jerk. I ignored them afterwards and began to walk towards my house, not even caring if my aunt or even my uncle were home. I had no more lies to tell, they knew what happened once they saw these wounds. As I walked home I kicked some little rocks trying to buy time. I would usually listen to music, but today of all days someone took my earbuds. Freakin' Jack telling me that! Showed him what happens when you mess with me! I kicked another little rock letting out my anger. That moment I recalled what he had said early that day. It was at school and I was sitting outdoors in one of the solo seats. Why do they have these? I would always wonder. Doesn't this look like I'm in the seat of shame or something? Oh well, it's not like anyone would bother to come to me anyways. I was eating lunch minding my own business. When I heard him talking to his friends.

"Hey, Jack? I know you're new around here, but don't mess with that one." I knew they were talking about me. I was the only other person around and every one usually warns others to stay away from me. Do I really care? Not anymore. I'm better off alone. I know that now.

"That skinny girl? Why?" Jack asked his friend, not giving a damn if I heard. I glanced at him without them seeing, that way I could see how he looked. He was a bit taller than an average growing boy and he did have a bit of facial hair. I think he is a jock because of the leather jacket he is wearing. Maybe in the varsity team? I remember only seeing those black with blue leather jackets on the varsity football team.

"Shhh! She might hear you." The other guy said, quickly jumping on how loud he said his remark. He looked nothing like Jack. Yes, he was the same height as him, but he had glasses and blonde hair. Unlike Jack's which was more blackish.

"So what? She looks weak! Where I'm from she will be eaten for breakfast. You're all weak if you think she is worth your fear!" He laughed looking at me coldly.

At first I ignored it. Remember Aunt Mary's words, 'Don't let other people's word control you. You're in power.' I thought, but later on that day when walking home it seemed like he was following me. I don't remember seeing him any other time. So I knew I didn't provoke him in some way. Or maybe I did and I didn't notice? I don't know, but he's getting on my nerves right now, following me like this. What's his problem?! I finally walked up to him because he wouldn't buzz off.

"What's your problem?" I said bluntly, "Why are you following me? What have I ever done to you?"

That's when the crowd started to show up. They knew that once I'm mad there was going to be a fight. I hate that they think every time I'm mad, I'm the one who is going to punch someone for no good reason, but it's not like they understand that they're aggravating me.

"Everybody keeps on saying not to mess with you," Jacks started, "But where I'm from, I'm the person to not mess with." He said looking down on me. Man! I hate that I'm short because I hate when people look down at me. Just like how he is doing right now. He narrowed his eyes on me.

"Whatcha saying then? This is a new town, you're not the top here." I looked at his forehead because supposedly that makes people uncomfortable and inferior to you and I clenched my first and breathed, trying to keep my cool. The last thing I needed was to start a fight... again.

"Prove it then." He raised his brow snickering.

I wanted to punch him so badly, beat the living daylights out of him. Just walk away, don't let your anger control you. I slowly released my fist, "Nah, not worth my time." I backed away. Don't listen to him if he says something, Breathe. You promised Auntie not to fight, keep it.

"Looks like your parents raised a pussy." He yelled looking at the crowd that had gathered. People started to whisper, but I didn't care about the crowd. No one talks like that to my parents! I turned around punching his jaw. I'm sorry Auntie... But I can't walk away from that. Pleas forgive me. He was going to say something, but I shot my fist towards his stomach and that's when the fight began.

I took a deep sigh and kicked another little rock. I was almost home. I wiped a bit of blood that was running down my nose. Man that jerk hits good. I rubbed the blood that was on my hand onto my pants and then grabbed my shirt and put it over my nostril. It was bleeding. 'Hmmm' I let out when the blood wouldn't stop. I was coming up to a stop sign and when I crossed the street I could see my house. A warm skin tone color, one story, yellow grassed house. That looked just as plain as all the other houses. I went up the little square rocks my aunt placed down that welcomed you to the door. I wiggled the door knob and it surprisingly opened. Maybe they forgot to lock the door when coming back home. For maybe they left it open?They knew I was coming anyway. I hesitated to shout 'I'm home!' but thought against it. I don't want them to lecture me right now when they see that I was in a fight. I closed the door quietly and began to walk to my room, sneaking a little bit. I was a bit nervous that someone would see me because the hallway going towards my room can be seen in the kitchen. Please nobody be in the kitchen. I prayed as I tipped toed. So close, almost- I caught the eye of my aunt and against my luck, she was in the kitchen. She was chopping something on a wooden board. When she saw me, she first smiled, but I guess she saw my wounds because her smile faded and she gasped.

"What happened!?" She asked me. She put the knife she was holding down and came to me. Forgetting about the food she was preparing.

"Nothing." I didn't even look at her, "I'm going to my room."

"M, don't run away, it won't help. I'm here, talk to me." She grabbed my hand softly. She had this sadness in her tone. What can she do? She knows nothing. I'm better off not letting someone in, not after-. Can't even think of it. I closed my eyes to hold back tears.

"I need my space, please Mary. Just leave me alone, you're not my mom." I shook her off.

When I closed the door to my room I heard her say, "You know I love you as much as your parents did." Choking up a bit.

Yeah right... I went to my bed and grabbed my pillow. No one can love me like them.