Chapter 2: Journal

September 17, 2018

I must have drifted to sleep as when I checked my phone, it said 5:00 pm. It had already been two hours since I shut the door on my aunt. I got up from my bed and I opened my door to go to the restroom. I didn't know where my aunt was, but my uncle should be home by now. After I had finished in the bathroom I walked back to my room. I was not really ready to face my aunt, so I closed the door of my room slowly. Then I went back to my bed and placed my pillow behind my back, against the wall. The pillow was wet. Did I cry or drool? I wonder, a bit disguised. I grabbed my phone from my little desk I had nearby and I unlocked it to see a text message from my aunt.

                                 Food is ready for you.

I took a deep breath tossing the phone across my bed. I placed my hand on my forehead. I haven't called her by her real name in a long time, but I was upset. I felt a bit regretful for calling her that. Why of all times did she have to pop up? She had to be in the kitchen! Of all places! Then I heard a knock on my door. No! I'm not ready to see anyone. I thought to myself.

"M?" It was my uncle Alex. He knocked again. I knew he was home! Did he see me? No, I don't think so. Did Auntie tell him she saw me all beaten up? After questioning myself for what seemed a while I got up from my bed. What the heck? Nothing can get worse from this Monday. I opened my door and faced my uncle.

"Hi uncle." I said in a very drowsy tone. He greeted me with a light smile. His big mustache covered most of it though. He was wearing overalls with a red plaid long sleeve and blue jeans. I always wondered why he wore things I believe look like it from the countryside. It's not what you expect because he works as a computer programmer. When I asked him why, he always answers with 'it's my causal.'

"Hey Minnie." He said. My nickname, Auntie, probably told him what happened. He must be trying to lighten me up. I sighed then looked down.

"I think I'm going to stay here for a bit longer Uncle." I said as he examined my wounds, "I'm not ready to face Auntie." I think I saw him smile when I used that nickname instead of her real name.

"Well Minnie, I can't have you all alone and looking like this. Let's go clean, come on." He gestures with his big hand to come with him. Hesitant at first I reluctantly went with him. Knowing deep down it was for the best. He took me to our living room. Soft light brown tones was what the living room breathed. The couch was a bit darker, my aunt said she placed a darker couch because then you can't see stain marks or something of that sort.

"Let me get the first aid." My uncle said as I sat on the couch.

I nodded, but I don't think he saw. So I turned to look at myself in the reflection of the TV that was mounted on the wall. My shirt which was a light gray color now had a big splat of blood from the neck down. It was probably from when I used my shirt to block my nosebleed. My hair was wild too. It was as if I didn't even brush it this morning. The band that held my braid was gone making most of my hair loose and tangled. No blood on it, or maybe there was. I couldn't tell because of how dark my brown hair was. Shoes were fine at least, but my light blue jeans were covered in dirt and some smeared blood. Probably when I wiped my hands from Jack's blood and sweat. I thought, letting out a moan.

"You okay?" I heard my uncle say. He had the first aid kit in his hands. He sat by me and started to get some supplies from it.

"Yeah, just surprised how messed up I look." I answered.

"Do you mind telling me what happened?" He asked me as he slowly dabbed a wet cloth around a wound on my left arm. I didn't answer him, I didn't want to tell anyone because I hit him for a stupid reason. Was it right of me to hit him? I don't know. I heard him sigh as he started to open the isopropyl alcohol. He must be disappointed in me. I promised not to fight, but I can't let someone talk about my parents that way. No way.

"Ah!" I shouted as Uncle slightly put the alcohol on my wound, "That stings!"

"You fight and come back like this and the alcohol is what you cry about?" He chuckled a bit.

"Well-" I cut myself off. He does have a point. "Sorry."

He raised a brow. "What for?"

"For this. Sorry that you have to clean up my mess." I looked to the side to see my food on the table. When I noticed that it was there I suddenly became hungry. I tried to ignore my stomach, but I think Uncle saw me eyeing the food.

"Go change your clothes and come to eat." He said when he finished cleaning my wounds.

"Thank you Uncle." I said, "You didn't have to do this."

"I know, but I love you Minnie. I want you to know that." He got up and took the first aid kit back where it goes. I went back to my room to change clothes. His words stuck with me. I looked at the mirror, scrawny and sad. I looked away, I couldn't handle seeing how much I have changed. I picked up the dirty clothes and put them in a basket. Right next to my basket was my family photo, my parents and me. I picked it up and stroked where my mom and dad were. Where are you when I need you most? I almost started to cry thinking about them, but I held it in by taking a deep breath. Don't think of the past, not worth it. I placed the photo down, turned around and opened my door to go eat. Not giving a second glance at the photo. When I went to the table near the kitchen to get my food, I noticed a dark brown leather book by the plate of food. It stood out as the kitchen was white with silver everywhere. The book had a yellow sticky note on it. Curious, I walked up to read that note.

                                       Something we want you to read.

                                       I hope you give it a shot.

                                                                             Love you,

                                                                              Your Aunt and Uncle

I forgot about the food for a bit and examined the book. When I opened it, some of the pages were wrinkled making the book look old. I was expecting an actual book, but it seemed more like a diary or journal. The first date was November 11, 1996. Before I could continue I heard the back glass side door open. I closed the book, placed it where it was and grabbed my food which I just noticed was rice with broccoli. I scowled, I hate broccoli. I put it in the microwave when my aunt came in from the backyard. I could see her from the reflection of the microwave. I need to say sorry for snapping at her and closing the door on her face. Come on, say it! I struggled to turn around. Come on! She was walking away and I was breathing fast deciding what to do. When I turned around she was gone. I sighed.

"Great..." I whispered to myself. The microwave beeped and I got my food. I ate it slowly thinking how I could face my aunt. Truth be told, I didn't really want to see her. Maybe I'm scared? But of what? No... I don't know. It took a while for me to finish my food. I ate all of the rice, but only ate one broccoli out of the four. I walked to the trash can and looked at the hall to see if anyone was there. When the close was clear I placed the other broccoli in the trash and washed my plate. My aunt hated when we wasted food and I knew if I told her I didn't eat it all she would complain about how I need to eat more because of how skinny I have gotten. I dried my hands after I finished washing my plate with a white towel that was on the left of the sink. I looked at the living room that was behind the dining table. My aunt and uncle were not there. I stood where I was and thought about what to do. Maybe they are in their room? Or outside? No, I didn't hear the door open again. Should I go look for Auntie? No, Uncle might be with her and I want to apologize to her alone. What time is it? Where is my phone? I went to my back pocket only to find that my phone wasn't there. I looked at the table. No, just the book. Oh! The book! I picked it up and stroked the leather. I can't believe I forgot to read this while I was eating. Maybe I can read it until Auntie is alone. I walked to the couch and once I sat down I opened the book. The writing was kinda hard to read, but I got the hang of it.

The book's first entry was on November 11, 1996. It started with 'Today is Monday...'