4. Calm before strom

Elena

As I slipped on my heels and made my way to the door, a strange sensation crept up my spine, causing the hairs on the back of my neck to stand on end. It felt like someone's eyes were boring into me, but I shook it off, attributing it to my paranoia. Taking a deep breath, I stepped onto the sidewalk, the bustling city streets alive with activity.

As I approached the bus stop, that feeling of being watched lingered, refusing to dissipate. I tried to ignore it, focusing on the mundane task of waiting for the bus. When it finally arrived, I boarded, but a sense of unease still clung to me like a stubborn shadow.

Taking my seat, I glanced around, noticing the absence of Sophia. It was unusual for her to miss our usual commute together. Concerned, I pulled out my phone and sent her a quick text.

Me: where are you?

The lack of an immediate response only heightened my worry. Sophia never left her phone unattended, so her silence was unsettling. Shaking my head, I turned my attention to work, trying to push aside my growing unease.

It wasn't until lunchtime that Sophia finally replied to my message.

Sophia: Got an emergency call from my mom.

Me: Is she ok?

My concern for Sophia's mother outweighed my discomfort.

Sophia: don't worry, everything is fine.

Me: ok, take care.

Sophia: yea

Deciding that today wasn't the right time to break the news to Sophia, I turned my thoughts to Leo. It was time to tell him that I didn't want to go on another date. I drafted a message, but before hitting send, I hesitated. How could I let him down gently without hurting his feelings?

In my moment of indecision, I turned to Marco for advice.

Me: Do you know a way in which I can break the news without hurting him?

As the afternoon wore on, I returned to my desk, preoccupied with thoughts of Leo and Sophia. Why is it taking Marco so long to reply? Is he avoiding me? The thought left me feeling insecure, wondering if he didn't want to talk to me anymore.

It wasn't until nearly 6 pm that Marco finally replied.

Marco: Tell him that he is an asshole and he'll not be hurt but angry instead.

Me: Haha, nice joke. But seriously.

Marco: Tell him that you don't feel this is going to work and something like that. Trust me, if I were you, I wouldn't take advice from me, especially about 'COMMUNICATION'.

Me: Alright, I'll see what I can do. Thanks though.

Reflecting on Marco's words, I realised that perhaps my insecurities were getting the best of me. Maybe Marco wasn't avoiding me at all.

Existing Marco's chat box I texted Leo.

Me: Hi Leo, I thought about your offer and I think it would be nice if we didn't go on another date. I hope you find someone better.

As I hit send on the message to Leo, my heart pounded in my chest. It was a difficult decision, but I knew it was the right one. I took a deep breath to calm my nerves, then shoved my phone into the desk drawer and refocused on my work.

Exiting the office, I made my way to the bus stop. Friday nights in the city were always bustling, with couples heading out on dates, teenagers excitedly making their way to clubs, and families gathering for dinner.

Approaching a street food truck, I decided to grab some takeout. As I waited in line, that uneasy sensation intensified. I scanned the crowded street, trying to pinpoint the source of the feeling. My eyes landed on a group of men, and one of them locked eyes with me, a smirk playing on his lips. I held his gaze for a moment, feeling a chill run down my spine, before quickly looking away.

Just as I was about to give in to the urge to flee, the voice of the girl at the counter interrupted my thoughts.

"Here's your order, ma'am," she said, handing me the bag.

I thanked her and paid, then hurriedly made my way back home. Despite the bustling streets and the cheerful atmosphere, I couldn't shake the feeling of being watched. It lingered like a shadow, following me every step of the way.

Opening the door to my apartment, I sighed with relief as the familiar comfort of home enveloped me. Setting down my takeout on the dining table, I headed straight for the bathroom, eager to wash away the stresses of the day with a long, hot shower.

Emerging from the steam-filled bathroom, I felt refreshed as I began my nighttime skincare routine. As I applied moisturizer to my face, my mind drifted to Leo. I hoped he wasn't hurt by my message. Maybe he wasn't. There was only one way to find out.

Making my way back to the dining table, I placed my Chinese takeout in the microwave to heat it up. Settling into the nearest chair, I pulled out my phone and noticed a message from Marco.

Marco: you've reached?

The message had been sent at exactly 9 pm, and it was now 10. Smiling to myself, I quickly replied.

Me: Yeah, what about you?

Marco's response came almost immediately.

Marco: No, still working.

Me: Sucks. You know, work isn't everything. Take a break, go out, and have some fun with your friends.

Marco: Yeah, I'll think about it.

Me: You should.

I exited Marco's chat and heard the microwave ding, indicating that my food was ready. Retrieving my now-warm meal, I remembered that I had yet to check Leo's reply. Opening his chat, I saw that my message had been seen but there was no response.

A pang of guilt washed over me. Had I hurt him? I pressed my palms to my face, feeling a wave of self-doubt wash over me. Should I apologize? I wasn't sure. But one thing was certain—I needed to explain everything to Sophia tomorrow. She would understand.

With my plan set, I finished my dinner and crawled into bed, hoping that sleep would bring clarity to the tangled mess of emotions swirling inside me.