1. Office chaos

Elena

As I stepped out of my apartment, the city greeted me with its usual hustle and bustle. People rushed past me, lost in their own worlds, while cars honked impatiently in the distance.

Checking my phone, I noticed a message from my friend, Sophia Conti, we've been together since first year of our university. She's really pretty, with light blond hair flowing down her shoulders in soft waves. Her eyes are a bright green, like shiny emeralds. She has high cheekbones that make her face look elegant, and her skin is flawless with a hint of rosy color. Her lips are full and pink, and when she smiles, her whole face lights up. Overall, she's just really beautiful and graceful.

"I left my lunch at my apartment, can you bring it with you?" her text pleaded, a simple request tinged with desperation. It seemed like a typical request from her, feeling the weight of my lateness already, I hesitated before replying. "Your apartment is on the other side of the company; it'll take a while, and I'm already late." Guilt gnawed at me for considering saying no.

Sophia's response came quickly, "Don't be mean *with the sad emoji* I thought you were my best friend, and you can't even do that for me. You want me to be hungry the whole day." It was a familiar guilt trip.

Sighing, I gave in, typing back, "Alright, I'll get it". I made my way to Sophia's apartment, every step felt like an eternity against the ticking clock. The streets were crowded with people rushing to their destinations, oblivious to my internal struggle. Finally arriving, I handed over the lunchbox, saying, "There you go."

But before I could catch my breath, a sharp voice cut through the air, "YOU ARE LATE."

Our Boss, Richard Harrison, confronted me, his sharp voice causing everyone nearby to shift uncomfortably. Richard was a tall, imposing figure with a stooped posture that seemed to add to his air of authority. His receding gray hair was slicked back, revealing a prominent forehead creased with deep lines of age and stress. His narrow, beady eyes were framed by thick, bushy eyebrows that seemed to perpetually knit together in a scowl. His sharp, angular features were often set in a permanent expression of displeasure, with a perpetually downturned mouth and jutting chin. He wore tailored suits that seemed too tight and uncomfortable, adding to his overall aura of irritability. With each word he spoke, his voice carried a harsh, commanding tone that made it clear he was not one to be trifled with. He stood tall, straightening his spine, while I felt a wave of anxiety wash over me. His gaze bore into me, making me feel small and exposed.
Around us, the office buzzed with activity, but the tension between Sophia and her boss seemed to create a bubble of silence. People murmured insults under their breath, adding to the uncomfortable atmosphere.

Despite the chaos around us, I felt like all eyes were on me and Richard, as if we were the only two people in the room.

I stood across from him, my body tense, ready for the onslaught of criticism I knew was coming. I cleared my throat, trying to steady myself before speaking but Richard interrupted me with a sharp yell, causing me to jump in surprise. His accusations were like daggers, cutting through any attempt I made to defend myself.

"YOU ARE LATE AGAIN," Richard's voice thundered.

"Miss. Klein, why are you late?" he asked, his tone accusatory.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Harrison. Sophia forgot her lunch, so I went to her apartment to bring it," I explained, my voice wavering.

"LIE! All you do is lie. You're just trying to cover up your mistakes by using Sophia," Richard retorted, his voice sharp with anger.

"But-" I tried to protest, only to be cut off by Richard's relentless accusations.

"Miss Conti is a temporary here, but she still manages to get on time, and just because you've worked here for 4 years doesn't give you the freedom to do what you want. You should be thankful that your articles are loved, or else you won't last a year here. Do you understand?" Mr. Harrison's voice was stern, his gaze piercing as he reprimanded me.

I nodded, feeling the weight of exhaustion settling in. "Yes sir, I'll be careful next time," I replied, my voice tired and resigned. All I wanted was to go home and escape the tension of the office.

"Alright, get back to work," Mr. Harrison said, dismissing me with a wave of his hand. I turned away, making my way back to my desk.

As I sat down, surrounded by the familiar clutter of papers and computer screens, I began to write articles. It was a task I had been doing for four years now, ever since I graduated from university. I remembered how it all started - with an essay writing competition during my final year that went viral. It was that moment that led to the job offer that brought me here.

A few months ago, Sophia joined the company after being fired from her previous job. It was a change that brought both familiarity and tension to my workplace.

It was already lunchtime when I heard footsteps beside me, my focus interrupted by the familiar voice of my best friend. "Are you gonna rot there whole day? Come on, let's eat something. I'm hungry," Sophia urged, pulling me from my concentration. I glanced at her and agreed, "Yeah, let's go."

As we settled into our regular seats in the company canteen, we began our lunch. Sophia dominated the conversation, chatting about various topics, mostly centered around herself, while I remained silent.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you, I've set up a blind date for you. Tomorrow at 7 pm at Rinson's restaurant. Be there on time," Sophia announced suddenly. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. "Blind date? Why?" I questioned, feeling puzzled by her sudden matchmaking efforts.

Sophia rolled her eyes and replied, "You're getting old, and with the social life you have, I doubt you'll ever get a boyfriend."

I nodded, reluctantly acknowledging the truth in her words. My social life had taken a hit since my university boyfriend cheated on me with Sophia. Remembering the painful confrontation with both of them, I recalled my ex-boyfriend's hurtful words about Sophia being better than me in every way. Despite that, their relationship didn't even last six months after we broke up.

"Ok," I said, feeling emotional and betrayed.

"Yess!" She squealed. "Don't worry about dress and makeup, I will make sure you look pretty for your date," she said in her cheeky voice.

"You don't have to worry about that. I'll manage-" I started to say, but she cut me off.

"Shut it," she snapped. "You know nothing about makeup and dresses. And I don't want you to look like a clown when you're going on a date set by me," she said with an eye roll.

"Ok," I agreed, not having any energy to argue anymore.

The atmosphere around us felt tense, with an underlying sense of frustration. The air seemed heavy with unspoken words as we sat in silence, the weight of Sophia's expectations pressing down on me.

Soon after, we went back to our work.

The atmosphere in the office felt subdued, with an air of tension lingering between us. I tried to focus on my tasks, but my mind kept drifting back to the upcoming blind date that Sophia had arranged for me.

As I typed away on my computer, the click-clack of keyboards filled the room, punctuated by the occasional ringing of phones. Despite the busy environment, I couldn't shake off the feeling of unease that had settled over me since Sophia's announcement.

With each passing minute, the anticipation of the blind date loomed larger in my mind, overshadowing everything else. I couldn't help but wonder what awaited me at Rinson's restaurant tomorrow evening.