Chapter 1

"I'm up! I'm up! Don't-" I jolt up from my bed, too sure that it's my sister annoying me on my birthday by making loud noises.

I guess I was too wistful about sisterly-love though, since it was not my sister but rather just my alarm, doing the best it could at its job: wake me up on this lovely Sunday morning at 6:30 am.

Of course, if it was any other particular day, I would be annoyed more than anything, but today it's obviously different. It's my birthday. My sixteenth birthday at that.

A birthday that my brain was geared up to save in my memory files as being special, due to reasons incomprehensible. Honestly, I have no idea why my stomach decides to do cartwheels or my heart beats a little faster or why I feel more nervous and excited, at the thought of this day, but I wasn't going to let those feelings ruin the day for me.

Me and my Best Friend Forever, the great and adorable Silvya Holmer, the lovely individual I had the pleasure of meeting one and a half years ago, have made plans to go out today, and nothing, not even some strange intuitive feelings, can foil it.

So, with hopes and dreams, and a tinge of anxiety, I head to the washroom to see my lovely face; The face of an official Sixteen Year Old!

Ah, I have finally turned Sixteen.

I walk towards the mirror beside the stand that holds my toothpaste and toothbrush, silently humming tunes from Starblitz, my favourite band.

"Ya baby, that's the love I feel for you-"

•••••

The music blasts through one of the speakers of my earphones that lay hanging in the air, my iPod, the only apple product I have and have ever owned, lies hanging over the sink, and my hands cup my mouth, doing it's level best to not allow a sound to escape.

My hair has turned weird. It has changed colours. It's a mix of lavender and blue. I smile, not because of happiness, but because of utter confusion and shock. It then turns to an expression of complete horror.

"No, no, no, no." I stare at the mirror more harder. More intensely, really registering the fact that this was not a dream.

As if staring at it would change anything.

But I do notice, that my eyes have changed their colour too. Except it's just teal, only a few shades away from the actual light blue of my iris', and it's barely noticeable unless you really were looking for it. But the hair was the actual problem. This was bad. Horrible really.

I brush my teeth as fast as I can and then run back to my phone lying on the table beside my bed. The alarm starts buzzing again, probably because I hit Snooze instead of Stop last time. I quickly close it, select phone and choose the contact of the last person I had called. Silv.

Come on Silvya, pick up. Why was she taking so long to pick up?

I hear her phone ring downstairs. Wait- Was she at my-

"Hey Roxanne! Happy birthday!" Her soft, calm voice arises through the phone.

"Thanks, and by the way, you're at my home!?"

"Ya... It's your birthday! I know I'd give you an early surprise. Besides, we have to go out, right?"

"But the plan was to go at-" Wait, what am I saying? There is clearly more important stuff right now! "Silv, that's great news. Now, before anything, just come upstairs."

"What?"

"Please Silvya, it's an emergency."

"OK, I'll come... Just let me go and inform Gran and-"