Chapter 5

"Ok... So Starley and I are the only ones who are like this...?" It's less of a question and more of me just trying to process all of what I've learnt. I take in a deep breath and let it out.

Another thought rises in my head. An uneasy one. An unwanted hope, perhaps.

"So, does that mean my parents are actually... alive...?"

Why would that even make sense? If they were alive, I'm sure they wouldn't just ignore us, right...?

Why was I even being curious about my parents; individuals I never wondered about prior to all this madness? I curse myself for letting my emotions get the better of me.

His face turns expressionless. Did that mean a yes or a no?

"We... Don't know. No one knows, actually."

Imagine how you'd feel if your friend tells you they'll let you in on a secret and the next second backs away from it. It leaves you speechless and annoyed because of all the unwanted anticipation that you had built up, right? Or maybe just think of how you'd feel if someone punched you in the gut.

That's exactly how I felt. "What?"

It's his turn to take in a lot of Oxygen. Wait- Was it oxygen? Did they intake oxygen? Was there Oxygen here? Did Faeries even breathe?

"That's the part I was going to explain next. Maybe I'll show you instead." He stands up, stares at me for a few seconds blankly while I narrow my eyes at him in response.

He seems to be indulged in some thought. Was he wondering whether he should show me the something or not? Or was he thinking about something else in general?

Without a signal, he shifts towards the centre of the room. He then picks up some weird black thing that was lying on the side and presses it causing the object to light up.

A bright light fills the room and the next moment my eyes adjust to it, I see it; a palace. A projection of said big, luxurious palace.

Was that...?

"It's your home, The Palace of Mysteria," he says, answering, his voice sentimental.

"Something happened on the day you were sent to Relin. Something horrible. Your palace was under attack."

I half expect him to change the projection to some weird fighting scene, but it just stays still.

"First thing you know, the palace was under attack from some odd forces, causing a minute form of war, and the next, it is surrounded by some weird forcefield that blocked everything in and out."

This time the projection changes and I watch as the peaceful palace in the calm and pretty background turns chaotic and translucent with a weird dome forming around it. The bright blue sky turns to a dull violet. The surroundings turn dark and menacing and the greenery loses the warmth it once used to emit.

"No once could go in or out because of the forcefield. All those who had been in the palace were stuck inside without any contact to the outside world. All sorts of vegetation around the palace, throughout Mysteria itself, stopped growing as they shriveled and died. It was as if the forcefield was sucking everything out of its life force."

He pauses, as if reminiscing about what he had once seen there, and then continues, "Not even magic was left alone. Faeries couldn't do magic anymore, causing choas throughout. Ultimately, the rulers of the other two Fae kingdoms, Kialis and Zesta, decided to inhabit the unfortunate souls of Mysteria who were struggling with their daily lives."

The ambience turns depressing with the conclusion of his words. So that was the condition of Mysteria... Of my apparent home... Destroyed, left to wilt away, without hope.