Chapter 2

My Gran, my father's mother hates dyed hair. And none of us—me, Starley, Silvya or anyone else for that matter—knows why.

We even found out this strange thing last year, when Star tried to go all rebellious and dyed her hair a bright orange. Gran had literal mood swings that day, that ranged from utter surprise, to being kind of pensive to showing the personality traits of a demon on finding out that she had dyed it. What else had she expected?

She scolded Starley's ear off and we had never seen her like that before, so it's easy to say we had pretty much been traumatised.

Starley and I believe its actually somehow related to our parents, whom we haven't seen before as they somehow passed away. That's the only other thing Gran is really sensitive about. So it's an unspoken rule between me and my sister to never mention them infront of Gran. And honestly, I've never been much curious about them anyway. I've got all the care I needed from Gran that I've never really wondered how it would be if my parents were actually here.

Maybe it's just me blocking myself from feeling hurt, but then again, I don't want to lose this peaceful life I've lived.

And now I end up in this situation. What was I going to do?

My attention shifts towards Silvya, who is still ever so lost in her world of thoughts. I notice her hat—something that she never removes. It's strange. Honestly, everything about her was strange. From the way her parents seemed to be overprotective of her, as she's not allowed to wear short-sleeved dresses, that cover her entire arms, even in the hottest of temperatures. They moved around alot too. And they also make her wear a hat all the time. Honestly, I don't think I have even really seen her hair out in the open, and it wasn't like she was religious or anything. But I know it's important to respect boundaries, so I never really asked.

But that has just given me an amazing idea.

I grin at her. "Hey Silv, I think, I'd look killer with a hat."

—————

"What are you doing?" Starley asks as we descend down the stairs. Who knew this brat was going to be standing here?

She looks at me—my head—carefully. I have tied my hair in a bun, put a hat on and to perfect all that, worn a hoodie along with my outfit. To cover my eyes, I just grabbed a pair of sunglasses that are slightly tinted. It makes sense for her to think something's up. I do, after all, look like a celebrity in disguise.

"Well, new year, new me." I declare, smiling at her. I know its my birthday and not the new year, but my brain wasn't functioning. A birthday resolution, it is.

She is about to say something back to me, something that'll probably start off a war between us, but someone sends her a message as her phone makes a notification sound. She looks at it, reads whatever it is and starts to go a little red.

I guess it's that boy she has a crush on—Jack or Jake—or whatever his name was. I don't really like him, since something about him doesn't feel right to me, but it isn't like Starley would ever listen to my advice.

Taking her distracted moment as a good opportunity, I drag Silvya right towards the front door, only to get stopped by the danger herself.

"Happy Birthday Roxanne!" My Gran chimes in from behind. "Were you really going to leave without seeing me?"

"Of course not Gran!" I lie. I didn't want to lie to her but I have no choice.

"Where are the both of you setting of to so early though? I thought you had made plans for nine."

Shoot. What am I meant to say to that? But as if reading my mind, Silvya speaks up, "Come on Gran, I got Rox a ticket to the Starblitz concert and it's entrance would be swamped if we were to go there late. We couldn't miss it now, could we?"