Chapter 14

***

Imagine it's a Saturday evening in the early 2000s. You've just been to the amusement park with your family and on your way home, you see a brand new ice cream shop has been opened next to a Mr Biggs. Your dad pulls up to the shop, and you rush in to explore the wonders of this new place. You take in the sights, the smell of waffles, cream and sugar, and the sounds of the ice cream machines humming as they fill up numerous cones.

Can you imagine that glee? Can you imagine that childlike wonder that would grip your soul in that moment, so powerful that you feel like you're going to explode?

If you can imagine that, then you should be able to understand how Malik felt the moment he saw Amina walk out of the house and head towards his car.

To say that his heart literally stopped in his chest would be the understatement of the century. His mouth fell open as she walked towards him, and he was so certain that he was about to sprout wings that would lift him out of the car as he soared towards the heavens.

How could any woman be this stunning? How could she look so effortlessly beautiful and not even be aware of it? She had worn a simple black abaya, and yet she looked as enchanting as an oasis in the middle of a scorching desert.

He tried so hard not to stare. He really did. But if you were in his shoes, you would have done the same thing. No one had the right to look this beautiful. But Amina did, and Malik couldn't keep the grin from his face.

"Good evening, my lady," he said as he hopped out of the car and made his way towards the passenger side. "You look absolutely breathtaking."

"Why, thank you," Amina replied with a smile that could have cured cancer, curtsying in a way that would have pleased even Queen Elizabeth II. "You don't look so bad yourself."

"I appreciate the compliment," he said. "I spruced myself up just for you."

"I'm touched by the gesture," she replied. "Chivalry is really not dead."

Malik shook his head with laughter as she hopped into the car, then he slid across the bonnet before he hopped in, and Amina was laughing so hard when he sat down.

"What is it?" he asked.

"Do you think you're a cop in a low budget movie?" she asked between laughs. "Why did you have to slide across the bonnet?"

"Because there's something known as The Law of Cool," he explained. "Basically, the law states that if something looks cool, you have to do it no matter what."

Amina raised a questioning eyebrow. "And where did you learn this made-up law from, if I may ask?"

"I made it up right now," he said, starting the car. "But you have to admit that it makes sense."

"Really?"

"Think about it. How many times have you talked yourself out of doing something cool because you're afraid? The Law of Cool aims to bring that number down to zero."

The two of them laughed, and they settled into a comfortable silence as they drove out of the street. Malik kept his eyes firmly on the road, because that was the only thing he could do to prevent himself from looking over at Amina.