Chapter 13

***

"So how did you do it?" Usman asked, holding the punching bag as Malik threw in a few quick punches. His forehead was covered with sweat, and his boxing gloves were beginning to dig into his wrists. But the smile on his face told a different story as he hopped from side to side.

"I don't even know," he confessed. "It just sort of happened."

"And she agreed?" Usman asked astonishingly.

"I'm picking her up at seven," he replied.

Usman gave him a fist bump, adjusting his footing as Malik nearly threw him to the ground with a powerful punch. The latter walked back to the bench where his gym bag was, and he grabbed a towel.

"You do realise what this means, right?" Usman asked.

"I'm aware of what a date should entail,"Malik said. "Seriously, it's not a big deal. We'll go out for dinner, maybe catch a movie, and when the time is right, I'll begin to plant the idea in her mind. I'm really not bothered."

In truth, he was actually terrified. The only reason he had decided to throw in a quick workout was because he needed to release some of his pent up energy. The thought of spending an entire evening with Amina was terrifying, and he had already imagined a million different ways he could screw up.

Malik hadn't actually been on a date in over fifteen years. He had no idea what was supposed to happen, and he was afraid of messing it up and scaring Amina away. The thought of her rejecting him made his insides clench tightly, and his legs turned to jelly when he imagined the look of disappointment on her face.

Why did he feel the need to impress her? Why was her validation so important to him? Could it be that he was getting too attached? Could it be that he was beginning to lose sight of the actual reason why he began to seek her out?

Of course not. He was well aware of what he had to do, and nothing was to change his mind. The fact that Amina was so beautiful that he always seemed to lose his senses when he was around her didn't mean anything. He just needed to make sure that he didn't get swept up by her feminine charms. As long as he could maintain a level head and think through things clearly, then he would have the upper hand.

Although it wouldn't hurt to allow himself a little moment of happiness. It had been years since he last felt giddy about interacting with someone else. Perhaps Amina would change him completely and bring out a new side of him.

"So how are you going to deal with your father?" Usman asked. "You know he's not going to let this go. And when he finds out you've gone against his will, you'll be in deep shit."

"I can handle my father," Malik said with a defiant look. "He's a foolish old man who doesn't know what's coming for him."

"I just don't think it's a good idea for you to defy him," Usman said. "Have you forgotten what happened the last time you..."

"It doesn't matter," Malik snapped. "He's not going to get away with it this time. As long as I'm still standing, he will not get his hands on that company."

Usman chuckled, adjusting the straps of his own boxing gloves. "I'm assuming you have some secret weapon that you are yet to use?"

"Perhaps," Malik said, the corner of his lips twitching. "Let's just say there's something I'm planning that will crumble the empire he has built. And once I've managed to do that, I'll make sure he rots behind bars for the rest of his life."

Usman knew better than to say anything in this matter. He was well aware of the strained relationship between Malik and his father, and he was not about to interfere. The two despised each other, although Usman suspected that his friend harboured more hatred in his heart than the old man. He had tried to understand what caused this rift between the two men, but all his efforts proved unsuccessful.