Chapter 8

Chase and Skye were walking around the house, looking for Marshall.

"Find him?" Chase asked.

"Nope," Skye answered, "Oh, wait! There he is!"

Chase and Skye glanced at the small window next to the back door, seeing their Dalmatian friend, sitting by the steps.

"Let's go see him!" Skye said, trotting toward the door. Chase followed as well.

The back door was left open. Pushing it a bit to get through, the two pups approached their quiet and gloomy friend.

"Hi Marshall," Skye started.

"You doing okay?" Chase added. Marshall turned to face his two friends.

"Oh... Hey, Chase! Hey, Skye!" Marshall answered, "W-What are you doing here?"

"We're looking for you. We were worried that you didn't follow us upstairs," Skye replied.

"Right, sorry about that. It's just that... I just felt like I wanted to be alone," Marshall frowned and sighed.

Chase and Skye exchanged glances, concerned about what their friend was worrying about.

"What's the matter, Marshall?" Chase asked.

"Yeah, you can tell us..." Skye comforted.

Marshall looked up at his two friends, breathing in deeply before opening up to them.

"I really thought you were gonna tell them at dinner earlier," Marshall said.

"Tell what?" Chase asked.

"When Mr. Bennett asked about Ryder's parents. I thought you were gonna tell them the truth," Marshall answered, "Then when he asked about it, I began to feel... sad. It's like I'm beginning to miss her a lot again, remembering when I always made her laugh and smile."

Tears began to fall from Marshall's eyes. Chase and Skye hugged the sulking Dalmatian and cried with him.

"We miss her too, Marshall. We all do..." Chase said.

"Ryder doesn't want to tell anybody else about it. And so do we... They won't know, and will never know," Skye added.

"Will there ever be a time when we don't have to feel this sad every day?" Marshall asked.

Chase sighed, not knowing how to answer Marshall's question. But finally, he got the right words to answer him.

"I don't know when, but I'm sure one day this will be over, Marshall."

Skye nodded as the three hugged together again, all sitting together by the steps.

[Skye]

When they look and see the good in us ♪

They start to think, "They don't break down or feel glum." ♪

[Marshall]

But one thing they don't know ♪

We, too, often succumb ♪

Our hearts feel numb ♪

[Chase]

Nobody knows, only we do ♪

♪ The pain we still are going through ♪

♪ Nobody knows, only we know ♪

♪ How we drift away like the first fall of snow ♪