Chapter 11

Mrs. Bennett met up with Ryder outside in the driveway, while Tracker, Marshall, and Chase crept in quietly.

"Isn't Mr. Bennett coming with us?" Ryder questioned as he noticed Mr. Bennett wasn't around.

"Oh, he said he's still in a meeting so he couldn't come. So I guess it's just us then," Mrs. Bennett replied.

"Oh, that's okay."

Tracker, Chase, and Marshall watched as they both into the car.

"How do we follow them?" Marshall asked.

"Wanna go on our vehicles?" Tracker suggested.

"What? No, I'm not risking that. Ryder can recognize my cruiser easily. If he finds out, we're dead!" Chase argued.

"Okay... So, what should we do instead?" Tracker asked.

"How about we hop in the trunk?" Marshall pointed at the car's trunk.

"Good idea!" Chase agreed.

"Let's go, Amigos!" Tracker agreed as well and they headed for the trunk behind the car.

They snuck up behind and reached for the car's trunk. Chase was able to open it up and they all hopped in without making any noise. Chase left the trunk a bit open so they could get out later. Soon, Mrs. Bennett drove away with Ryder, not knowing they had three pups in the back of the car. When Mrs. Bennett made a sudden, sharp turn, Marshall went flying inside the trunk, making a loud thud as he crashed into some stuff inside as well. Mrs. Bennett and Ryder could hear it too.

"Shush!" Tracker shushed.

"Marshall, be quiet! We can't let them know we're in here," Chase said.

"What was that?" they heard Ryder ask when the thud ended.

"Probably just some stuff in the back of the car," Mrs. Bennett.

The pups zipped their mouths as they heard the two talking.

"Hmm... Must be a lot of stuff since it made such a loud sound," Ryder said. Mrs. Bennett just laughed.

The pups sighed in relief as they stopped talking.

"Close call," Chase said.

"Maybe a little too close..." Marshall added.

The pups felt the car stop after a while of smooth driving. After waiting a while, they finally hopped out of the trunk and tiptoed their way to find Ryder.

"There they are!" Tracker pointed.

"Shhh, over here, Tracker!" Chase said as they hid behind a wall.

The three pups kept quiet and tried to listen intently as Mrs. Bennett and Ryder were conversing normally at the table.

"So, how's your family doing?" she started.

Chase and Marshall got nervous, hearing the question.

"Among all of the questions, why-"

"Shut up!" Marshall snapped, cutting off Chase.

They both stopped talking and turned their attention back to Mrs. Bennett and Ryder.

"They're doing fine," Ryder answered.

"Carlos told me he doesn't know much about your family and he has never met them either," Mrs. Bennett said, "I think it'd be really nice to meet your family too, huh?"

Ryder paused when he heard what she said, and began to think for a while how to answer.

"Eh... Uhm, I'm afraid you can't," Ryder said.