Chapter XII "Eye contact"

"Do you remember kissing each other?"

The question was practically a reality punch. She was so convinced she could avoid that matter as if both were capable of erasing it from their memories and moving forward.

Of course, it was a utopian dream. In the time she had known Yunjin, she had come to understand her as someone direct and unevasive. It was impossible to shake this off.

"Well, truthfully, I don't remember, but I know it happened," she answered honestly, knowing the blonde could tell if she was lying or not.

"How is that?" asked Yunjin, perplexed.

"I was very drunk, I didn't remember anything from the party until Yena showed me a photo of the two of us."

Chaewon was making a tremendous effort to maintain eye contact. Yunjin's gaze was so warm, so tranquil and sweet, that just looking at her with her anxious eyes made her feel embarrassed.

Surely, her face looked as red as a tomato.

"And now that you know, how do you feel about it?"

Chaewon detested that Yunjin didn't show any feelings about it. She just wanted to know what she thought. How was she supposed to confess right then and there without hearing the blonde's position?

It was practically throwing herself to the lions.

But her sweet, motivating, and, above all, curious gaze insisted on revealing the deepest secret of her heart.

"Well, I didn't do it on purpose. Like I said, I was drunk, so I don't remember my intentions back then," Yunjin's face seemed to show, albeit subtly, a certain disappointment, "but..."

"But?"

"If you're asking if I regret it, yes, I do."

"Oh," Yunjin responded, avoiding Chaewon's gaze. No clear sadness was evident on her face, but her voice sounded weak.

"So, now that you're sober, or so I assume," Yunjin chuckled lightly, "Wouldn't you kiss me?"

The raven-haired girl remained silent for a few seconds. She had the answer clear in her head, but should she say it and risk rejection?

Perhaps not.

But something inside her urged her to do it. Those subtle gestures and tones that emanated from the blonde motivated her to try. Perhaps Yunjin was indeed developing some attraction.

They're friends, there must be something about Chaewon that caught Yunjin's attention for them to spend so much time together. How difficult could it be to replace their feelings of friendship with romantic ones?

Besides, it's worth remembering that it was Yunjin who asked for her number and started talking to Chaewon. Shouldn't that be a sign?

"When I say I regret it, it's not because it was you. But because I wasn't in a position to express what I feel consciously," Chaewon paused for a few seconds, her already anxious eyes not knowing where to look.

"Oh," Yunjin said.

"What's wrong?" she asked quickly, not breaking eye contact.

"I'm a bit surprised."

Chaewon felt a rush of insecurities. The blonde had always been very flirty with her, so the sudden change of her attitude, the barely expressiveness and mediocre words, made her feel so crumbled.

"Why? Didn't you see it coming?"

"It's not that."

"Ah, so you did see it coming," Chaewon concluded, a little embarrassed that her feelings had been so evident, "How?"