alex x yn part 20

trigger warnings: alcohol and tobacco depictions

i'm back in the coffee shop. i lounge on the small leather loveseat positioned near the record player and my guitar, making me look like a proper stuck up, drowning in my own glory.

ana gives me evils as she wipes down the counter and serves the few customers that visit in the time i'm here; i refuse to tell her what happened with yn and allen, and she seems to like to know everything.

she did bring me a scone though, but i just let it sit on the small plate in front of me. i had a smoke earlier and it messed up my appetite. at least that's what i'm telling myself. it could also be the nerves of talking to yn. it's not just the concept of speaking to her anymore, but this is serious and it's an important decision about allen.

he's not technically in jail yet, but if no one vouches for him, it's the bloody bars for him.

my somewhat pleasant train of thought is broken when a frazzled yn slams through the wooden door, almost knocking the little bell off of its hook above the door.

she looks asleep but wide awake at the same time. her eyes meet mine, but she runs over to ana and gives her a kiss on the cheek, picking up the coffee that had been waiting for her in the same black mug.

i stand up as she starts towards me, watching her set down the coffee next to the scone. ana is wiping down the same spot on the counter that she always does, and there's nothing even left on it.

i shoot yn a look and she sighs.

"ana," she says softly. ana looks up innocently, as if she wasn't waiting to listen in on our conversation, "could you give us a few minutes?"

ana opens her mouth and points to the door, but yn cuts her off, "i can get any customers, you know i can," and points ana to the storage room in the back. she groans in defeat, slams the towel on the counter, and trudges towards the back room like a small child.

yn looks back over to me and flattens her hair down in attempts to put herself together more.

"sorry i'm late i didn't wake up until just a few minutes ago," she says, her breath short as she drops onto the small couch perpendicular to me, "what did you need?"

i draw in a heavy breath, trying to articulate the words in the right way.

"the station contacted me, about allen's bail."

her eyes widen and she straightens her back, staring at me intently.

"he's in waiting and i can get him out. the cost isn't a problem but i just need to know if you want him out or not. you're the first person he'll come running to," i explain.

she's chewing her fingernail now, staring at something in my general direction, but not at me.

"it's important to me," she begins, "that he never touches you again. but he hasn't committed any real crimes, it's hardly fair to jail him for a lousy drunken fight."

"so you want him out," i say as gently as i can, worried the disgust in my voice will seep through and sway her decision.

she chews on her nail again and sheepishly nods, bringing her feet into the couch and curling up with her chin resting on her knees.

"i'll go talk to him later today," i whisper and hoist myself off of the chair, taking a few steps out of the small corner into open space in the cage. she follows, walking towards me.

i can tell she's worried about her decision. she's not sure if it's the right thing to do, and i honestly don't know either. my stomach drops a little when i see her eyes brimmed with tears, gazing up at me.

"you've ought to stop wearing boots like that, they make you too tall," she says with a cracking voice and small smile.

i don't know how to comfort her at this point, so i just take a few steps forward and wrap my arms around her as much as i can as if to hide her from the world.

she returns my hug, standing in silence and occasionally sniffling against my chest. i rest my head on top of hers, something i've never been able to manage. she seems shorter right now though, as if she sinking in my arms.