Chapter 14 - Mission: Pan

The sun was coming up over the city; casting its light across the rooftop I was sitting on. Shane sat next to me, fiddling with one of his guns like always. It had been a few days since we left the CDC. We've been searching for somewhere-anywhere- safe for us to go. The group finally agreed with Shane to head to Fort Benning after a lot of arguing. Today is the day we're finally leaving the city.

Ever since the CDC Shane hasn't let me out of his sight. I think he's worried I'll get separated from everyone again. It's not like I had meant to be on the other side of those doors, I was just listening to what Lori said.

I hear footsteps approaching us from behind, breaking the silence of the moment.

"Here, breakfast."

It was Lori. She's been more upset at Shane since we left the CDC. I've overheard a couple of the conversations she's had with him. Most of the time I'm mentioned in them, she doesn't think I should be around Shane anymore. Then Shane says something to her about who else is gonna watch over me and round and round they go. Their conversations confuse the heck out of me.

I take the two bags of dried fruit from Lori, muttering a quick thank you. She glares at Shane, who hasn't even acknowledged her presence. Then she gives me a small smile and leaves.

Laying a bag by Shane, I open my own and start eating. I hate dried fruit but I don't complain, it's either this or nothing. So I eat it while holding back the urge to gag.

After another minute of fiddling Shane puts his gun down and grabs the bag of dried fruit. He takes a bite and frowns.

"Terrible, what do you think Charlie?"

I look at him, scrunching up my nose in disgust.

It seems like a good answer to him as he quickly laughs.

"Man, if we don't find more cans soon I'm gonna consider eating grass."

This time I laugh.

"That still sounds gross."

We finish eating our fruit in silence. Once I'm done I toss the bag off the roof and lay flat on the concrete. Littering's no longer a problem. With no one to take out the trash, throwing something in one is pointless.

I rub at one of the bandages on my arm. I've gathered a collection of them after the CDC, it's the price of climbing through broken glass.

In all the excitement of the CDC I'd completely forgotten about all the cuts and it wasn't until the adrenaline faded away that I noticed the stinging sensation. Which quickly turned painful, but I didn't think it was too bad, that was until Shane had glanced at me during the drive. The car had come to a screeching halt when he saw the blood stains on my shirt and pants.

We took a quick pit stop after that so we could bandage me up. Lori was the one to wrap them while Shane told me that if I ever get hurt again to tell him. He was pretty upset about me not saying a word.

After another couple minutes of me and Shane staring out at the rising sun T-Dog walks over to us.

"About time to go. You guys ready?" He asks.

"Ready whenever," Shane answers back. He grabs his gun and stands up.

I get up too, stretching my arms over my head.

A few of the others have started heading down the ladder leading off the roof. Carol stands at the top of it handing Glenn some of our bags. He takes them down to the cars with Rick and starts loading up.