Chapter 3 - Rocks and Frogs

Charlotte- pov

  The next morning I wake up in Shane's tent, Glenn probably carried me here after I fell asleep. I sit up, extending my arms over my head with a yawn. Glancing around I see Shane's empty sleeping bag, he's probably out talking to Dale like he does every morning.

Unzipping the tent I walk out into the early morning sun. The Georgia heat already warming the air. Heading towards Dale's RV I see Shane lifting an empty water cooler into the back of his jeep.

He notices me walking towards him and speaks up, "Mornin' kid, wanna help me fill these with water from the quarry?" I nod. I like to help out around camp, Shane's jobs are the most fun. Lori's are usually cleaning clothes or rationing food, I much rather prefer Shane's.

He opens the passenger door. "Hop in." I run the rest of the way to the jeep and jump in. I haven't ridden in a car for weeks and the thought of being in one now excites me.

It feels surreal as we drive down to the quarry. the wind rushing through my hair and the cool breeze it brings along with it. I didn't realize how weird it would be to finally get in a car again would feel. Memories of my dad driving me to school or all of us driving up to the mountains for a camping trip flash through my mind.

I thought about the time my dad forgot the roof cover to his own jeep and we got drenched in the rain. He stopped at a gas station along the side of the road and ran inside, he bought me an umbrella and a soda to make up for it which promptly exploded all over me when I opened it. I giggled at the thought of my mother's face when we got home.

Shane drove over some rocks making the car bounce up and down, and causing me to giggle again. He noticed and smiled. "Nice day for a ride, ain't it?"

Nodding again I stuck my hand over the edge of the jeep and waved it around, feeling the air slightly pushing against it.

Once we arrived at the bottom of the quarry Shane got out and went around to the back to grab the two water coolers, I followed behind him.

"Here Charlie." He handed me one of the empty coolers and I carried it to the water's edge. He sat the other one down next to it and began to fill them both with water using a big clear plastic cup. As he filled them I wandered around the quarry kicking rocks into the water.

It took Shane about fifteen minutes to finish when he called me back, "Charlie, time to go."

I frowned, not wanting to leave already, it was so calm and peaceful down here in the morning. No one else was around and I could hear the birds chirping in the trees. It was nice to get away from camp for even just a little bit, people were constantly giving me looks of pity. When they didn't think I could hear they'd say something like, "Poor girl, no family, it's sad to watch her run around camp following after someone." My life isn't that depressing, I still got my future ahead of me. Then again, maybe not now that the dead walk.

I hadn't realized I'd been standing here frowning at the water for a solid minute until Shane called me again, "Charlie?"

He walked in front of me and put a hand on my shoulder. "You good?" His face showed genuine concern, I couldn't figure out why though. He usually only cared about Carl, only making sure I ate and hadn't wandered off. Carl's lucky, he still has his parents and Shane.

Looking up at Shane I gave him a nod, for whatever reason speaking just seemed harder than it used to be.

Shane noticed I was upset and bent down in front of me. "How about I teach you something cool before we go back?" He asked.

My eyes lit up and this time I answered in a quiet voice, "Yes please."

He looked over the ground and picked up a flat rock. "First you gotta find a rock like this. Flat and not too heavy."