Chapter 6 - The Games After

Louise, Eliza, Sophia, Carl, and I all slept in the RV. Sleep may not be the best term, more like tossing and turning and closing our eyes only to open them again moments later.

Sophia was crying most of the night, apparently, Ed got bit. I feel happy that he's gone but then Sophia's cries make me feel guilty for feeling that way. The bruise he left on my face hurt whenever I'd lay on that side.

The morning Lori, Carol, and Miranda come in to check on their kids. I sit on the bench leaning my head on one arm and looking out the window while they all talk. I watch as T-dog and Glenn lift one of the walker bodies and carry it to the burn pile.

The blinds turn shut, cutting off my view.

"Charlotte?"

I turn to look at Lori.

"Would you like some breakfast?" She asks.

Not feeling hungry at all I shake my head no in response and move to open the blinds.

Lori grabs my hand before I can open them. "You shouldn't be watching that." She sits a refilled water bottle down in front of me. "At least have some water."

Wanting her to just leave me alone already I take a sip of the water.

A few minutes later the three women leave us to go out and help the others. Immediately I open the blinds back up. Moments later Sophia joins me on the bench. Her eyes are still red and puffy but she seems to be in a better mood.

"Wanna play a game?" I hear her ask. I continue to stare out the window, hoping my silence is answer enough.

Carl quickly sits down across from us. "I wanna play!"

"Louise, Eliza, do you guys wanna play?" Sophia asks the two. I watch as they squish themselves next to Carl.

"What should we play?" Eliza questions.

Carl lifts his hand in the air. "What about eye spy?"

The other three nod their heads approvingly.

"Charlie! You first!" Carl exclaims.

I'm not in a very playful mood but seeing as there is nothing else to do, playing a game might help pass the time; and hopefully cheer me up a bit.. Thinking of what to say I let my eyes scan around the RV. It is pretty messy, with bottles and crumpled paper lying all over the place. In one corner I spot some cut-up red tissue paper.

"Eye spy something red," I say.

Immediately the other kids start turning their heads in search of the mystery object.

"Is it that book," Carl points to a shelf full of assorted books.

I shake my head.

"Those flip-flops?" Eliza asks.

I shake my head again.

Louise stands up on the bench to take a better look around. His eyes search every crevice. "Is that it?" He yells as he points to the red tissue paper.

"Yup."

"My turn!" He shouts.

We play the game for a while, everyone having multiple turns guessing and choosing. Carl and Sophia noticed I would never guess so they would give up their turns and tell me to choose.

Eventually, they get tired of the game. Eliza, Louise, and Sophia go to the back of the RV to play some card games while Carl and I stay at the table.

After they leave I go back to staring out the window, something Carl finds extremely boring.

"How can you do this for so long? We've been sitting here for five minutes and you still aren't bored?" He questions me.