The Boy In The Iceberg

----------------
Kikona's POV
----------------

Water. Earth. Fire. Air. My grandmother used to tell me and my sister stories about the old days-- a time of peace, when the Avatar kept balance between Water Tribes, Earth Kingdom, Fire Nation, and Air Nomads. But that all changed when the Fire Nation attacked. Only the Avatar mastered all four Elements. Only he could stop the ruthless Firebenders. But when the world needed him most, he vanished. A hundred years have passed, and the Fire Nation is nearing victory in the war. Two years ago, my father and the men of my tribe journeyed to the Earth Kingdom to help fight against the Fire Nation, leaving me in charge to look after my tribe and my younger siblings. Some people believe that the Avatar was never reborn into the Air Nomads, and that the cycle is broken. But I chose to believe that he will come back when the time is right.

-----------------
No One's POV
-----------------

Out on the icy water, in a cano, sat two people. Siblings. Sokka and Katara. They're the younger siblings of Kikona, Sokka being the middle child while Katara was the youngest. Sokka, even though he was younger, was a very protective brother, mostly for Katara since she was the youngest and he knew Kikona could handle herself, but it was in his blood to protect. It came from their father. Sokka also has a lot of growing up to do. Katara is also a Waterbender, like her older sister. They are the only two Waterbenders in the Southern Water Tribe. Women aren't supposed to fight, but Kikona decided to disobey that rule and learn how to Waterbend on her own. She's taught her sister some basics, but Kikona was given strict rules not to teach her more than that from their grandmother. Her grandmother said it was already dangerous enough having Kikona defending their tribe while the men were gone, and that Katara didn't need to think she needed to help.

"It's not getting away from me this time." Sokka muttered as he held a spear, ready to throw it at any oncoming fish. "Watch and learn, Katara. This is how you catch a fish."

Katara rolled her eyes until she saw a fish swim under the cano on her side. Taking a breath, she used her Waterbending to lift the fish out of the water and into the air.

"Sokka, look!" She smiled, but she was shushed.

"Shh, Katara. You're gonna scare it away." Sokka whispered. "Mmm, I can already smell it cooking."

"But, Sokka, I caught one."

Katara moved the fish towards Sokka to show him, but he didn't realize, moving his spear so it accidentally poked the small bubble of water the fish was in.

"Hey!"

"Why is it that every time you play with magic water, I get soaked?" Sokka grumbled. "When Kona does it, everyone remains dry!"

Katara sighed. "It's not magic. It's Waterbending. And it'sâ€""

"Yeah, yeah. An ancient art unique to our culture, blah, blah, blah… Look, I'm just saying that if I had weird powers, I'd keep my weirdness to myself, or be like Kona and defend our home."

"You're calling me weird? I'm not the one who makes muscles at myself every time I see my reflection in the water." Katara smirked, looking at Sokka who was doing exactly what she said.

Sokka turned to glare at Katara when they suddenly hit a fast current, pulling their cano down the water stream. Sokka was trying to steer their cano away from the large ice chunks, and keep them from getting crushed.

"Watch out!" Katara yelled as she saw more ice chunks coming their way. "Go left! Go left!"

Having to jump out of the cano, they landed on one of the large ice chunks that crushed their cano.