Prologue

Blood, after a while is the only thing you can smell, see, and hear. Although sweat is also present, the feeling of your blood rushing within your own body always seems predominant. Some of the cadets says the generals want to train us to death, I disagree. In my opinion they want to train us until we can no longer think for ourselves. After what seemed like an eternity, they told us to form a single line, after that, the only thing I could remember was the scorching pain I felt in my back.

Those who woke up were rushed to the main garden, a place that doesn't fit it's name, sup-positively a place made for the late duchess, the king's private guard, but there was no way this place was made to commemorate someone precious to the king, as this was the place where they determined if we were suitable to protect the current duchess. The way the proceeded after the back burning consisted of making us train until we could no longer stand, and no one could escape the test. Not even the children of the said duchess or the children of the kind could avoid this stage, for those who passed the test, we were sent to the front, to "forge our skills" they said. I heavily doubt it, but it's like there's something to be done other than surviving the next five years on the front combating rebels.

Some tried to flee after arriving to the front, they tried different techniques, from hiding in the dirty clothes, to simply fleeing in plain sight after seeing the horrors of what was waiting for them if they continued to walk to the front. To made everything worst, we couldn't transform into our original form, we had to stay in a human form to make the travel. The generals said it was to avoid spending more resources than necessary. Rather than that, I think they know we would revolt, and who knows, maybe even win. The road that imposed before us was stained with blood spots and little bits of wolf fur every here and there, in my opinion the wolfs in command probably put those there, to filter the cowards out with fear. And to my biggest consternation, it probably worked, of the hundred cadets that survived the first two test, only seventy-five remained. The rest tried to flee as soon as we began setting camp for the night.

If I had to guess, I would say most of their parents didn't tell them it was a simulation, and that it would all be over in a year. The king prohibited all the older wolves from telling the younger ones, but I guess my parents didn't want the names of me and my siblings to figure on the list of those who fled in terror. It might seem like a childish act, but everything in this place, was made to assure our loyalty to the king, and see which ones of us could be of use to him in the future.

The training officers explained to us that we would have multiple opportunities to show our talents, and that the ones who would be the best, could be chosen to become the leader of one of the temporary packs that ruled Witherlore. The only negative point in this scenario, was that the ones with the best score were also the one who would pass the Gemsteps. I could already see alliances forming, and I could tell which one of my comrades do anything to get there. As I was waking towards the sleeping areas, I heard two guys mocking another person, although I couldn't quite figure out if the third person was a female or a male. As I began making my way to them, I felt something pushing me slightly on my right, and approximately three seconds later I heard a girl, I assume was my age, helping the person being bullied.

"What do you think your doing right now? The generals told us to go sleep, not act like stupid machos, and pressure one of the other cadets into telling his name!"

"Who do you think you are to tell us what to do? We aren't hurting him or anything we just want his name."

I could have sworn I heard the girl calling them dumb wits under her breath, but before I could try to confirm it, she leaped forward, and grabbed the bulk looking one by the collar. At that point I couldn't contain my amusement anymore and let out a small barely audible chuckle.