Chapter 11

We returned to the cavern with a few herbs and a few berries that we had collected on our way back. She didn't talk about what she saw, and neither did I, she seemed to have regained her joyful energy and talked about everything and nothing all the way back. As we arrived at the cave, we saw Reain and Eisma, they didn't have anything in their hands, I guess they couldn't find anything, I mean it was understandable, but it was still frustrating and stressful to know that we could lose our standing just because of a stupid plant. I mean what would they do after we gave it to them, its not like there are a lot of things you can do with Skisla plants, and even less to do with their flowers, the main substance used was found in the stem of the plant. We still had a few days to look for them and we could send the ones in the group that didn't have a problem with changing forms to go look at the place Nila and I had just found. The others, including me, would explore the rest of the area to try to find some of it.

We started roasting the Duakns and all sat down next to the fire, it filled the atmosphere with sounds of the meat roasting and the heat filling the cave, the smell of the Duakns made me remember the smell of the meals I ate while living in the village, especially the meat that was roasted on the town square as the children's laugh filled the atmosphere with joy. I clearly wasn't the only one that had just lived a moment of nostalgia as I saw Masov and Geros's gazes that seemed lost in space. They both looked as if I had shown them a picture of a happy memory from their childhood, and apparently, I wasn't the only one who noticed because I caught Reain giving a strange look at Masov. I couldn't figure out if he was shocked or just unfriendly with him, but for some reason it irritated me. He probably felt my gaze on him, because he turned his head towards me and lifted his eyebrows with a look of defiance painted over his face. I must admit it did change from his usually cold looks and short replies, but seriously, couldn't he let the man live his little moment of nostalgia in peace, I couldn't stop myself from letting out a grunt as I felt my upper lip curl in a snarl, I needed to calm down now, otherwise I couldn't stop myself. He probably heard the sound I had just made as his face switched to a surprised look, but before I could even blink, his face returned to the ice-cold features it usually held.

Everyone finished eating and we went to our sleeping arrangements, but as I was crossing the cave to go to my so call bed, I heard someone whisper in my left ear.

"What's wrong Lya, you don't like it when I look annoyed? I didn't know you cared so much about me; I'm flattered."

As I turned, I saw Reain crossing the room with a smug expression painted on his face, and as he lied down on the ground, I found myself wondering how it would feel to realize just a little bit of aura to make it sure his stupid mouth, to see him squirm down on the ground as he felt what I really felt about him being annoying rather that annoyed. I could feel my control reaching it limits as I felt my aura flowing everywhere in my body, I could feel it, the pull to use it to liberate myself of that burden, to unleash the anger and frustration that was begging for me to let it run free. I was barely able to stop myself as I installed myself on the dried leaves, we had put on the ground to make it bearable to sleep there. As I was laying down and trying to find a good position to sleep, I saw Reain looking at me with a something resembling confusion and curiosity, as he saw I had saw him looking, he turned his body as to face the other side of the cavern. I admit I could understand why he looked at me like that, what he did wasn't necessarily enough to justify my response, but I couldn't bare him for some reason. he was calm and icy a second and then switched to having a real personality, like couldn't he just decide and pick one instead of always changing his reactions as to be unpredictable. I decided to just ignore him and let the sweet sensation of sleep drift my thoughts away from him.

As I woke up the next morning, the first thing I saw was the sight of the sky colored with a honey like gold mixed with a little stretch of rose petals as the sun rose and made the clouds blush with it rays. Everybody seemed to wake up at the same time, except for Rya that had taken the last shift last night. She smiled at us and told us that she was going to go take a nap since she was up. We had been lucky up to know, nobody and nothing had tried to attack us, the smell of roasted Duakns probably hadn't spread outside the cave or had been diluted by the cold air that remained in the air even after the blanket of snow that had covered the ground for a few days had melted. The only snow that was still visible was the small amount that resided on the top of the mountains, it made a pretty landscape, and it relieved us of some weight on our shoulders since we didn't have to worry about an avalanche anymore. It made the plants easier to access and to see from a long distance, hopefully it would make the Skisla search easier, and faster.

We once again divided into teams to make the search faster and as I was going to reach Nila, I felt someone appear next to me and seize my arm. My muscle memory worked on its own and I grasped that person's wrist pulled it towards the left part of my body and twisted it as I pulled its shoulder up, at the same time I put pressure from my elbow into his arm and before I could hear the satisfying crack that usually came with a broken arm, I heard the person grunt. I could hear the person talking but couldn't hear what was coming out of their mouth, I lifted my eyes from my grip and saw the others looking at me with an alarmed look, I then turned to see who was the one I was attacking and saw Reain, he looked as if he was talking to me, but my brain couldn't concentrate on anything that he was saying, the only thing I could see was his lips moving and I could feel his breath against my skin, but I couldn't let go of my grip, I had snapped and didn't know how to go back. I could see Masov advancing towards me and Helaena telling me to relax, but I couldn't stop, I just couldn't. I felt the burning sensation of my muscles extending and begging me to just let go, to be free in the wind, wouldn't that be nice, to hunt and run without having to run. It hadn't happened in a few years, most of the time I was able to control it, but sometimes I just couldn't, I knew very well I would change forms, but I couldn't do it now, not in front of them. Before I could even understand what happened I dropped Reain's arm and ran outside of the cave, I felt once more the aching sensation to run and to leave my body take over my mind, I ran and ran and before I knew it I had transformed and was back in the field of plants. The pumpkin like flower was still there but I didn't care, I just wanted to be free, free of my responsibilities, of my new life full of pretense and just feel the power of my aura flowing in my veins as I felt adrenaline pumping alongside it. I was pretty far when I changed so I was pretty sure no one had seen me, but I couldn't be sure, I didn't want to become her again, I did it once and it had been a horrible but powerful experience. I was young indeed, but I couldn't forgive myself for what I had done, I did once almost crack again, but never as close as today. I knew myself, or at least I thought I did, but I still remained afraid of what I could do to others if I didn't keep myself in check.

****************************************************************

Thank you so much for taking of your time to read my story I hope you enjoyed!!

Don't forget to vote and comment if you liked the story!

I write exclusively on Wattpad so if you ever see it on another platform please report it!