Chapter 1 - Downfall

In the year 1965, they brought in a law called the Gaming Act and completely banned gambling in South Korea.

Many people who were addicted to gambling wandered in search of where gambling takes place secretly.

52 people went missing in succession.

The entire police force were involved in the intensive search of their whereabouts.

'This is Inspector Soo Ho in control. A strange game called Win or Run is secretly conducted in a seaside French bungalow. Those 52 people whom we are looking for are the ones who went to gambling. The citizens know about this and are going there with dangerous weapons. I repeat, they are going towards the bungalow. Over.'

Just as Inspecter Soo Ho finished speaking over his comms, the police car, flashing blue and red sirens reached in front of the massive French bungalow, behind which was the sea. Four policemen stepped out of the car, and two other cars came behind for backup. A loud and distinct noise of people shouting was heard moving towards the mansion.

Fernandez POV

I opened the curtain from the second floor's bedroom window and looked down at the strange view of the police and the people who are surrounding my house. What are they doing here?

'Mr Fernandez, please step out and surrender with your family. We are telling this for your own good. The local people are coming to attack you'

As the policeman finished his sentence, I could see people with sticks lit with fire on top and guns and swords making their way towards the bungalow and the police struggling to holding them off.

This was the worst day for my family. I never anticipated that my family would ever be in this situation. All these problems arised because of the game that we conducted.

For us, what we do is not a murder. It's a game. My entire family, from my child, to my blind mother, our hobby is to hunt the humans.

Yes, we are the human hunters.

In the final stage of the game, winning and losing is determined by the luck of the individual.

Whoever has won the game so far, I have generously given them money, but to people who disobey the rules, they end up dead. I killed my own son because he disobeyed the rules.

According to me, a rule is a rule. And we should always follow rules. People who break rules end up dead.

I'll never break the rules. Because if we break the rules of the game, then the game will come to an end. That is the belief of our ancestors.

'Where did it go wrong?' I said as I looked out the window to the countless people shouting and screaming outside the bungalow.

'Who broke the rules of our game?"

Silence.

'WHO?!'

Just then, a rock flew inside the room breaking the glass window in pieces. The muffled chaos of the crowd became clearer and louder. 

I grabbed my sniper from the wall and signalled Clara, my daughter, to take the sniper too.

We both stood at adjacent windows and placed the sniper on the broken glass, and aimed it at the crowd.

A gunshot, then a scream, followed by blood.

We kept on shooting the crowd, eventually killing most of them, when one of the policeman shot at Clara, and the bullet hit her straight to the heart.

And before I could blink, the room was on fire. The noise of the people shouting was still heard through the crackling of the flames. The fire blocked the exit door, and the windows. Soon it consumed all of us, one by one.

I heard the screams of my mother, my wife and my child as they failed to escape quickly. Through the flames I could see the portrait of my family, which is now almost black and crumbled.

Let's face it, death is inevitable at this point. But even if I die, this game won't.

Our game is eternal. I will never allow it to end.

A/N: I have not mentioned any details of the game yet, but I did it on purpose. Let me know of some of the theories you have for the game. Next update will come soon~