Chapter 4: Being Honest

"Where were you?", Rose asked as I ran in Harvey's ten minutes late. The picnic went better than I thought. "Well?"

"My fault, my fault. A thousand apologies, my beautiful Rose.", I smile as I kiss her cheek, knowing she couldn't stay too mad with me. I had over slept when I got back home.

Rose rolled her blue eyes. "You should have rose your a** up this morning, Wale. Better be happy I covered for you.", she rapped out, if she was holding a microphone I knew she'd drop it.

"I'm sorry. I'll buy lunch next week." That was my only bargaining chip. Almost forgot, she didn't return my text this afternoon. "Oh, I know you not complaining about being late. I texted your a** this afternoon and you have yet...hear that YET to respond.", I laugh. My attempt to be a lawyer would be shot to hell. Law and Order has failed me on so many levels.

"Oh, you have no point.", Rose picked at me. "I was busy sooooooooo I couldn't at the moment."

"Busy" with Rose generally meant Daley was home. He is her boyfriend that is the meaning of a f*ck n*gga. He can't stand me, because I do more for Rose and his son than he does for them. I have no filter for murky a** men like that. "Tell Daley I said leave you alone."

"Daley, told me to tell you 'hey' actually. He is trying this time, I swear.", she said walking toward me. This is why I hate to care about people sometimes, because no matter what you do for them or try to help them out, they still end up hurting themselves. "Sober coach and even has a job interview. He's trying and if he is then so am I."

"Yeah, well don't call me when he sh*ts all over you like he always does. That n*gga makes all black guys look like bull, but f*ck it.", I say to her, not caring how she feels about it. It was nothing but the truth. My first customer comes to my register and I switch up moods like a true motherf*cker. "Good Morning! Did you find everything you were looking for today?", I smile, although its fake as hell the customers seem to appreciate a friendly face.

Let this morning speed by....

*********

"Lunch break. Leave me alone.", I say to Rose as she sits next to me at the table. I just don't want her around sometimes and this is one of those times. "Why are you sitting?"

"You can't get mad at me, what about you and Crysthamum? You drop me all the time to talk to or see her and I don't get an attitude. Do I think the way you gallop after her is right? Hell, no. But you like her so I curve all of that uncertainty that I have and don't let it interrupt our friendship. You act like you can't do the same for me and Daley."

"I don't gallop, I may possibly trot towards her, but Daley and Crys are too different people. Daley is no good for you or Lil' Man."

"And Crys is for you? You barely even know her yet."

"True, but I know Daley and he hasn't been on sh*t you met this man on Facebook."

Rose rolled her eyes and flicked her hand at me. "Okay, I met him Facebook, so what? Just cause I met him on the internet doesn't automatically mean, the connection we had was fake."

"No, the point that in three weeks that f*ck n*gga had his bags and suitcases in tow ready to move his a** in with you. That's not a da*n connection, that's connivance.", I told her, as I bit into my tuna sandwich. "No matter how you try to play it."

"Bullsh*t!", she yells as she knocks my plate to the floor. "I'm not stupid at all! You get on my nerves with this self haughty attitude of yours!" Rose gets up and storms off behind me. Better not be messing with my station.

"Elevate your mind, man!", I yell loud enough for her to hear me, along with a few other customers. "Elevate. Tired of you getting f*cked over by him."