Chapter 4 - My resolve

We arrived at DeadStone, first thing I saw was a row of houses connecting to more side streets filled with more homes. In the distance I was able to make out a couple bright lighted buildings. It looked like there were some restaurants and a couple of stores in this district. "My house is right there, it might not look much but it's where the invincible Kyle lives. Kyle is pretty egotistical but he also cares more about others than himself. We get inside his house and we see a familiar figure working out.

While doing pull ups, the figure greet us from across the house. "Oh, it's been a while since the last time I saw you two. You guys were about this tall the last time I saw you. Especially you Dex! You're like 7 foot tall! How have you guys been?" This is Kyle's older brother, Kyllian. growing up, their parents had abandoned them so he took the responsibility of raising Kyle and his little sister Kyla. "Is onee-chan home?" Kyla is seen walking down the stairs. Kyle brings her a box of pastries "I got these on the way here, I know they're your favorite! Hey big bro! You should've seen the fight that went down at the graveyard! I had JT go up against Dex!" Kyllian stops working out and walks over to us intrigued about what Kyle just mentioned "Is that so? Didn't know you were a fighter like that Dex. Going up against Joseph this early in your career must have been tough, but don't worry! That loss will only make you stronger!" "Loss? Nah brother, Dexter won! At the start of the fight, Joseph was piecing Dex up with punches and bunches but halfway through Dexter switched his play style and was able to turn the fight around."

"Is that so? Didn't know you were going to stay in the city and be a dreamer, I kinda saw it coming from Sam since his dream was to be an artist, but everyone here knows that art doesn't pay the bills." "Hey what does that mean?!" We all started laughing. "Hey Kyle, you should have them join DeadStones secret division." Kyle, flustered, speaks out "Hey don't just tell everyone that we have a secret division! But yeah that's the reason why I invited them over today." I was surprised, "Hey I thought you were inviting us here to talk about the alliance, what's all this about a secret division!" Kyle sighs, "Let's talk more about this in my room, I'll tell the two of you guys the details there."

"Alright, since the cat is out of the bag, let me explain everything to you guys, I'm planning on making you guys my two members of the DeadStone's secret division. Sam follows me as his leader but he doesn't butt into leadership roles or gang politics. even so, he feels sort of conflicted about this sudden reveal of a secret division. "Kyle, I thought all we were doing was forming an alliance with DeadStone?" "I'm sorry, I lied to you guys, I don't intend on keeping Znyder as an ally, I'm planning on making it my own." "Kyle I don't understand what you're trying to get at?" "I don't want Znyder. I want you two, both of you guys have proven to be special types of dreamers. I grew up with you guys, I know that best, I can have you guys bloom under my care!" "Kyle, I feel like we're on two different wavelengths here." "Sam, you value your family the most which is why you joined Dexter in becoming a member of Znyder. So that you could protect Znyder, your family. If you join, I can have DeadStone protect all of Znyder."

I look over to Sam, "Sam that's what you wanted right?" "Yeah, I think I'm gonna take him up on his offer, how about you?" I think to myself, just now realizing how heavy the weight of my actions are going to be after I decided to become the leader of Znyder. I speak out but the dryness of my throat caught me by surprise, "what should I do? I'm a dreamer but I have no dreams, I don't know what to do from now on. I had always talked big about wanting to be a fighter, a gang leader, but I'm starting to doubt my choices." I start to feel anxious about my future. "Dexter, follow me in my endeavors. If you don't have a path then I'll be the one who'll set you on one." I respond back to Kyle "but why go to such lengths on recruiting us? All we know is to fight." Kyle looks at the night sky through his window "That's not true both of you have many strengths and weaknesses. I don't look at what you're good at or what you're bad at, I only look at your heart and both of you are good people." I stand up from the chair and say "Alright! I make my choice, I relieve my duties of being the leader of Znyder to you Kyle, Sam and I will join this secret task force of yours!" Kyle lets out a laugh "haha, glad to hear it! Now let me tell you what this secret division is all about."

I recall a flash back from 3 months before this meeting. I was talking to Sam about my future, it was the day of my 18th birthday and I asked him his input on something. "Hey, Sam, what are you planning on doing for your future? I know you're passionate about art but even if that fails, you were a pretty smart student." Sam responds with something I did not expect: "I'm thinking about being a dreamer." I responded with "What?! Really? You have good grades though, you can definitely make it out of this city." "Yeah, that's true but I love Znyder too much, my family, my friends I grew up with, the nostalgic memories I have here. I want to protect it all." "That's some good resolve you have there, I, personally don't know what to do with my life, I'm not smart enough to get into a good university and I don't want to work in this corrupt city either. My only option left is to be a dreamer since fighting is the only thing I know." "Well that's not bad either, and who knows maybe you could find something you wanna do in your life while you're sticking it out as a dreamer."

I come back to reality, and maybe for the first time in my life, I'm excited for what the future has to hold.