Chapter 20

⋆˚✿˖°Felix, entering the room, glanced at Claude and Ambrosine, who were both fast asleep

⋆˚✿˖°
Felix, entering the room, glanced at Claude and Ambrosine, who were both fast asleep. He approached Athanasia, who was in the middle of playfully pulling Claude's hair, and asked, "Is His Majesty and Her Highness asleep?"

Athanasia, startled, quickly let go of Claude's hair and stammered, "Y-Yes, they are."

Felix noted the unusual sight and remarked, "This is quite unusual. They both don't like being seen when they are defenseless. It appears that the princess's song was effective."

Embarrassed, Athanasia thought, "You heard me sing too? So embarrassing!" Felix continued, "Princess?"

Athanasia, taken aback, replied, "Yeah, what?"

Felix apologized, saying, "I was at fault yesterday. I shouldn't have acted selfishly without your permission. I was wrong. I just thought the princess would be happy if I did."

Athanasia reflected on his words and thought, "You don't have to apologize for that. One would normally think that way. And I was the one who said I wanted to meet Diana in the first place. From their perspective, if a child who didn't even know what her mother looked like said that... I feel guilty for even yelling at him."

Athanasia spoke up, saying, "Ah, Athy is also sorry for hitting you yesterday..."

Felix reassured her, saying, "Don't worry about it. It hurt a little, but I'm all better now."

Athanasia thought, "Don't lie. Like it hurts at all when I hit you. And I was the one who fell over."

Felix continued, revealing a personal aspect of his life, "To be honest, I, too, lost my mother at an early age, although not as early as you, Princess. My mother was His Majesty's nanny. In fact, both His Majesty and I were breastfed by my mother. When I was young, I was always a little angry at my mother for spending more time with His Majesty than she did with me. So when she passed away, at first, I would even say that I didn't miss her at all. And, to be honest, I never really missed my mother because when she was alive, I spent very little time with her. But one day, by chance, I discovered the embroidery on a handkerchief I carry around. My mother had personally embroidered my name on the handkerchief. Suddenly, I became so fixated on it, and to my disbelief, I was crying. The mother I resented so much up until then, the person I thought of simply as an image, was actually someone I truly missed. Even though we didn't have many memories together, she is still my one and only mother."

Athanasia thought, "Is it okay for me to hear such a person's story? Mother, that's a foreign concept to me. I was an orphan in my previous life, but... if I really was Athanasia, not even knowing my mother's face, to grow up treated unkindly and abandoned in the Ruby Palace, to have finally met the father she yearned for... if I was that princess..."

Athanasia confessed, "So this is really, really a secret, but... when I said I didn't want to meet Mommy yesterday, Athy was lying."

Felix asked, "Is that so?"

Athanasia continued, "But I wasn't lying when I said I didn't have to see Mommy. I have Daddy and sissy, don't I? Even though I don't have Mommy, I can still sing the Bye Bye song with them, so Athy won't cry."

Athanasia thought, "Then this jerk will go and favor Jennette and even kill Athanasia in the end."

Felix asked, "Do you have any wishes, Princess?"

Athanasia pondered and thought, "Don't ask me; it's obvious what I want. My wish is that Claude doesn't kill me when I turn 18." However, she said aloud, "I want my daddy and sis to like Athy more and more and more, as much as Athy likes Daddy."

Suddenly, a wave of tiredness washed over Athanasia, and she struggled to stay awake. Felix reassured her, saying, "That wish will come true, I promise."

But before she could respond, sleep overtook her, and Athanasia fell into a deep slumber.

In her dreams, Athanasia heard a lady singing. She thought, "What a beautiful voice. I wonder who is singing? A goddess? A fairy?"

Meanwhile, Felix observed the sleeping princess and remarked, "It looks like the princess is having good dreams."

Ambrosine, who had awakened, agreed, "Yes, I think so too. Well, she did sing a song to chase away bad dreams."

Claude, who had also woken up, chimed in, "You both are full of nonsense these days."

Ambrosine, with her hand resting on Athanasia's head, began to pass on memories of Diana to her. Claude, seeing this, placed his hand on top of Ambrosine's hand and shared his own memories of Diana with Athanasia. Claude muttered, "So troublesome, sleep."

And as Athanasia slumbered, her dreams filled with the sweet sound of the mysterious singer's voice, Felix, Ambrosine, and Claude watched over her, their presence a comforting presence in her dreams.

⋆˚✿˖°