5

~4 days later~

Azula strides into the seclusion of her shared chambers, her presence as commanding as ever, but now there's a subtle anticipation in her eyes.

“Four days have passed, Prince Yuo. Your silence has been... notable. What's on your mind?”

She inquires, ready to address whatever may have brewed in the interim. Yuo hardly looks at her, a thin line pursing at his lips.

“I am being deployed, princess…”

Azula’s eyes sharpen, a flicker of something akin to concern passing through before she masters her expression.

"Deployed?"

Azula's voice is measured but firm.

“And when were you planning to inform your wife, General Yuo?”

A calculated calm belies the sense of urgency in her query.

“Right now.”

A momentary crack in her composure appears before she regains control.

“Very well.”

Her voice is steel.

“You will provide me with the details. We must plan accordingly. Your safety is... non-negotiable…”

Her tone implies a threat to those who might endanger him.

“No plans, my deployment is immediate upon your father's orders. He's said to let you know to take it up with him if you have questions…”

Yuo looks away, his emotions raging silently in his ice blue eyes.

Azula’s expression darkens with anger at the mention of her father's decree.

“Immediate?”

Her tone seethes with barely contained fury.

“Fine. I will speak with him.”

She stands abruptly, her posture rigid.

“Your well-being is paramount, know that.”

Despite the severity of her voice, there's an undercurrent of something more, something akin to... care…

“Azula…”

He reached for her... but let his hand drop, not wanting to invade her space…

She pauses, noticing the aborted gesture, her expression a mix of irritation and... something softer...

“What is it Yuo?”

The name hangs between them, a rare moment of openness in her voice.

“If you have something to say, say it now.”

Despite the harshness in her words, she doesn't pull away. The smile that she hates so much doesn't quite reach his eyes.

“I love you…”

Azula's features tighten, the smile he wears – a smile she claims to despise – visibly affecting her.

“...love…”

The word hangs in the air, heavy with unspoken thoughts.

“Do not be reckless out there.”

Her eyes hold his, an intensity burning within them.

“Remember who you belong to.”

The command is sharp, but the meaning layered and complex but the prince understands. He immediately set out, his heart heavy and unsure when he’ll get to see his wife again. Azula watches him depart, her expression unreadable. She turns away only when he’s out of sight, a rare hesitance in her step. Once alone, her voice comes out as barely a whisper.