Chapter 38

The Sultan never kept his court open for the entire day, and it was early afternoon when Aladdin returned to his palace. He found Jasmine reclining on a purple lounge chair lost in a daydream, and took the opportunity to slip up behind her and unexpectedly sweep her into his arms, twirling her round the room. "Hi, Jasmine."

Jasmine laughed happily, eyes shining. But... was it his imagination, or was she looking at him strangely? He couldn't think of any reason Jasmine would have to do that, though. He decided he must be imagining it.

"Oh, Aladdin..." Jasmine sang, once her feet were back on the ground. She ran her fingers through the unruly hair at the back of his neck. "I want a Roc."

"A rock?" Aladdin was confused.

"I mean a bird," Jasmine explained, face alight with eagerness. "It's a big predatory bird that lives in the mountains. Fatimeh told me about them – oh, I've invited Fatimeh to live with us, at least for now. She came in this morning and I couldn't let her go back to that dirty old cave. You don't mind, do you?" with a purr that implied she was already quite sure he would object to nothing if she had suggested it.

Well, she was right, and if there was one thing Aladdin could understand, it was wanting to live in a palace after living your whole life somewhere small and filthy and unideal. "Of course I don't."

Jasmine explained that Aladdin wouldn't even be affected by this, since Fatimeh only wanted to see her – because of her being a woman, she supposed – and then returned to the Roc. She told Aladdin how Fatimeh recommended raising a Roc from an egg, in lilting tones that suggested she already knew Aladdin would agree to this request and was only giving him the details so that he could take care of it. "What do you think, Aladdin? Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a Roc at the palace?"

"Well... sure, yeah! Anything for you, Jasmine." His eyes went soft and dreamy as they gazed into hers. How could he refuse her anything that would make her happy? Especially after what she had been through that time with Jafar....

Jasmine hesitated a moment longer as if she wanted to say something else, then shook her head slightly and turned away. That was odd. Oh well, if it was really important she would tell him later.

Not wanting to waste any time in giving Jasmine something she wanted, Aladdin went right away to prepare the Carpet and Abu for his trip to the mountains. Abu was less than enthusiastic at the prospect of a third animal in the palace taking attention away from him (and, though Aladdin didn't know this, was also still upset about being told off for trying to protect Jasmine earlier), and was inclined to be sulky. Aladdin was just trying to talk him into being a little open to the idea, all while wondering exactly what a Roc's egg looked like and how he would know when he had found one, and supposing he would just know because how many large bird eggs could there be up there anyway, when there was a flash of brilliant blue and Genie appeared in the room.

"Al, how're ya doing?" Genie gave Aladdin his usual big hug, blue arms happily unencumbered by wristcuffs, and Aladdin returned the greeting with a laugh and a, "Hey, Genie!"

Genie explained that he was only staying a minute this time, but couldn't pass through Agrabah without coming to see his buddy Al, then noted the Carpet and asked what Aladdin was up to.

Aladdin gave a small shrug and a laugh. "Well, Jasmine told me she wants a Roc, so – I was just going to the mountains to find one for her."

Abruptly, Genie frowned. "A Roc? What does she want one of those for?"

Aladdin shrugged again. "To keep as a pet, I think. Hey, do you want to come with us? I'm not sure I know what I'm looking for...."

"I'm not sure you do," muttered Genie, in a tone that took Aladdin by surprise. "You do mean Roc, the giant-flying-bird type? Or do you mean this kind of pet rock – " Genie shifted first into the form of a large bird with wide flapping wings, and then into a variation of his usual self with longish wavy hair and a bright patterned shirt, holding out a stone on a bed of grass as he spoke – "I really hope you mean this kind of pet rock, Al. The other kind – that's bad news."