Chapter 19

Aladdin could hardly sit still. He had never known a day to pass so slowly; surely it had to be time to go to the palace by now?? He could hardly believe that by tomorrow morning, he and Jasmine would officially be husband and wife. And this time, it would be with the full knowledge that they had both agreed to this.

It was a month after his mother's last visit to the palace, the exact day, in fact, which the Sultan had set for Aladdin and Jasmine's wedding the first time round. One month since Aladdin had last seen Jasmine, and he could hardly wait for tonight when they would finally be together again. This time, nothing had happened to interfere with Aladdin and Jasmine's wedding plans. Not that Aladdin had expected it to. Oh, he knew Jafar would want to stop the wedding, if he could. But he also knew Jafar had seen exactly what Aladdin could do to him if he tried anything. Aladdin didn't think Jafar would dare interfere, not so long as he, Aladdin, held the Genie lamp.

One thing Aladdin had done over the past month, while he was waiting for his wedding day to finally arrive, was to talk to Abu and get him used to the idea. Abu had been cheering up this past month as Aladdin made a point of spending more time with him, remembering when he had told Jasmine about Abu and realized he was maybe neglecting him. "It's finally happening, Abu," he said. "Just like I told you. We're going to the palace!"

Abu made a questioning noise, and his eyes went wide. He did look happy at the prospect... When Aladdin mentioned marrying Jasmine, though, Abu did frown, turn away, and mutter a little.

"Come on, Abu, you'll like her," Aladdin coaxed. He suggested maybe Jasmine would let Abu try on some of her jewels, and Abu had brightened a little, turning an interested face towards Aladdin. Aladdin hoped Jasmine wouldn't mind this idea. He hoped Jasmine had thought to tell her tiger that there was a monkey coming to live with them and not to try and eat him. Probably. Jasmine had said she loved animals.

And now the day was here, and Aladdin hardly knew what to do with himself as he waited for evening, gazing out the window in the direction of the palace with a happy sigh of anticipation. "Honestly, Aladdin," his mother scolded him. "Can't you find something useful to do instead of sighing around the house all day?" The next moment, she pulled her son into her arms and found herself crying.

Aladdin patted his mother on the back. "Hey, there's nothing to cry about. I'm only getting married and moving to the palace – I know, why don't you come live there with us!"

Aladdin's mother pulled back from him, an expression of alarm on her face. "Oh, no, I won't. Those palaces are far too grand for me. I'm staying where I am, thank you."

"No, come on, Mother...." Who would choose a tiny hovel over a palace?!

Aladdin's mother was adamant. "I'll go there for your wedding, but I'm not moving into any palace. You can live in one like you always did in those foolish fantasies of yours if you like... I suppose you can hardly bring this princess of yours to live with us!" She gave a great, shaky sob. "A princess... my son is marrying a princess; what will I say to your bride?!"

"No, she's easy to talk to," Aladdin assured her. "Fun, too." He gave a small, dreamy sigh.

His mother peered at him suspiciously. "And how would you know that, Aladdin?"

Aladdin excused himself hurriedly to go ask Genie to help him get ready for the wedding.

"Al, how does it feel to be getting married!" Genie was almost more excited for the wedding than Aladdin, and even more talkative and full of energy than usual, shifting shape several times a second as he darted about the room, thrilled at this chance to make Aladdin look good in front of all the people of Agrabah. All Aladdin had had to do was wish that Genie would help him get ready for the wedding and make him look worthy of a princess, and Genie had promised to make Aladdin a star.