Chapter 36

"Bye, Jasmine." Aladdin pulled her in for a quick kiss. "I'll see you after your father closes his court."

His arms lingered around her shoulders. "I know," Jasmine reminded him. "I'm not going to disappear again." She gave him a kiss of her own and gently pushed him towards the door.

Aladdin knew this was true. He wished he could show her somehow that he would be able to prevent it if she were going to disappear again.

Jasmine sighed as the door closed behind Aladdin. Something was still bothering him, she could tell even if he thought she couldn't. Why won't you talk to me? I'm supposed to be your wife!

A noise from outside the gates caught her attention. That was fairly common – people were often found outside their palace to see if today was one of the Feast Days or simply to look at it. Aladdin's splendid palace had become such an attraction that even people from outside Agrabah travelled there just to see it. But when Jasmine looked out over the gates from one of her balconies today, her heart gave a leap of anticipation. It was Fatimeh – her exact robe and headscarf and veil that Jasmine had taken note of so many times when she was having troubles with her suitors a couple of years ago, coming towards the palace with the usual eager crowd following her. She appeared to be saying something to the crowd – perhaps telling them that today she meant to offer her services to the Prince and Princess?? She did seem to be heading right for their palace gates, even though Jasmine had never seen Fatimeh go anywhere near either her father's palace or her own. Well, Jasmine had been wondering for a while if Fatimeh would be able to help her with her troubles with Aladdin, and now that she was coming right over here there was no more hesitation. Down the stairs Jasmine ran and across the grounds, throwing open the gates just as Fatimeh reached them.

"Fatimeh!" she called in welcome. It was probably a more informal greeting than their resident holy woman was used to. But then Fatimeh was probably not used to women greeting her while wearing a lilac crop top that exposed her midriff and shoulders (although it was one of Jasmine's long-sleeved crop tops, if nothing else), low-waisted lilac pants that exposed her navel, or with her long triple ponytail swinging behind her in plain view. Jasmine hoped Fatimeh would not make any comments on the way she dressed.

Jasmine thought Fatimeh's eyes did linger a moment on her revealing outfit, but she did not comment. "Ah, Princess Jasmine," was what she did say. "I wondered if you were needing my humble services for the few days I will spend in your city?"

How had she known? Fatimeh would certainly be able to help her if she was able to know that much without even asking! "Yes!" Jasmine told her, and she invited Fatimeh inside to sit down and maybe have some coffee while she told her about it. She wasn't sure if Fatimeh would accept because she had never heard of her eating in anyone's home before, but Fatimeh readily agreed. Perhaps she felt it would be impolite to refuse the princess. Or perhaps, Jasmine thought, the thought of dining in a palace was too tempting to resist after living in a cave.

Jasmine led the way into the palace, Fatimeh following behind. So Jasmine did not notice the way Fatimeh's eyes fixed on her back with a murderous glare, almost glinting red behind the veil....