TWO: Consequences

Essie broke the news to her boyfriend, Asher, about the pregnancy, hoping for his support and understanding. But instead of standing by her side, he recoiled in horror.

"I can't deal with this, Essie," he said, his voice trembling with anger and fear.

"I don't want anything to do with you or the baby."

His words were like a knife to her heart. Staring into his eyes, she noticed how his demeanor quickly changed from warm and loving to cold and indifferent. 

As Essie watched Asher walk away, she couldn't help but feel completely worthless.

The news of Essie's pregnancy spread like wildfire through the halls of her high school, earning her judgmental looks and whispered taunts from her classmates. 

She felt as though the weight of the world had crushed her spirit, leaving her hollow and insignificant in its wake. Every glance, every whispered taunt, served as a reminder of her isolation and worthlessness, like a shadow that followed her wherever she went.

In health class, the topic of discussion was the importance of using protection during intercourse. Essie felt her cheeks burning with embarrassment as she felt the stares on her. 

"Hey Essie," yelled Marcus, the infamous class bully, "hope you'll use this lesson next time!" The class burst into laughter as the teacher scolded Marcus and sent him to the office.

Essie felt like she couldn't breathe. She quickly turned to look at Asher, who bowed his head in silence, not even defending her or offering some sort of console.

With tears streaming down her face, Essie ran out of the classroom and into the hallway, desperate to escape the cruel words that echoed in her ears. She stumbled outside, her chest heaving with sobs as she collapsed onto a bench, feeling more alone and isolated than ever before.

But amidst the sea of condemnation, there was but one beacon of light - her best friend Mila. Mila had been by her side since they were children. 

As Essie poured her heart out, tears streaming down her face, Mila wrapped her in a tight embrace and cried with her.

"I'm so sorry, Essie," Mila whispered, her voice thick with emotion. "I can't believe he would do this to you. I love you so much."

Essie clung to her friend, grateful for her unwavering presence in the midst of her storm. And as they cried together, Essie knew that no matter what the future held, she would never be truly alone as long as she had Mila by her side.