chapter 26

(WARNING: this is it this is your one and only final warning! this chapter is practically monster shut! if your not into that then don't read past S-59 showing his core! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.)

Complete darkness.

 That's all I could see, little to no light filtered in through the doorway behind me and as I looked back I could see why. the entire vault was swirling the same thick dark mist that S-59 conjured up on a regular basis.

The further I stepped into his den the less I could see, and as the doorway I came in from disappeared, my nerves got the better of me.

“i-i can see anything.” I spoke up a bit worriedly as I turned my head to look towards s-59.

“You need not fear the dark. I am here with you.” He responded calmly.

stumbling a little over my own feet I had to stop as my heart rate started to pick up. “I'm not like you– I can't navigate in complete darkness, I need some kind of light, even just a little bit…please, I can't do this in pitch black darkness.”

the creature holding my hand chittered before moving around me. I could feel him stepping in front of me and tilted my head up as his glowing white eyes came into view. I nearly stopped breathing as he pressed his forehead to mine and stared deeply into my eyes.

something touched the side of my face and pulled my glasses off before I could stop it. “h-hey!” I tried to grab them back but one of his clawed hands cupped the side of my head and turned my face back to his. “Look at me ava.” 

his voice whispered against my mind and I felt a strange sensation throughout my entire body as I stared into his white soulless eyes.

“I'm going to show you where I come from.” He spoke up once more, pulling his face away from mine. I couldn't understand what he meant by that until a soft blue glowing light appeared above my head. 

looking up I watched as glowing blue dots slowly appeared all across the ceiling. I watched in awe as s-59's dark mist slowly faded away around us revealing the room around us, only it wasn't a room, it was a cave, illuminated by hundreds of bioluminescent cave worms all across the ceiling. 

I spun around looking at it all in amazement. The cave was small and there was only one noticeable entrance, a dark tunnel that had previously been behind me, where the door into the observation room should have been.

as I took everything I was struggling to comprehend what was happening and how we had gotten here. all the vaults were supposed to be concrete rooms with the few necessities that any creatures might have needed, built into the walls, not cave Systems. and we had hardly taken more than ten steps into the room, where's the vault doorway?!

“h-how is this possible? Is this real?” I turned back to look at subject-59 as he stood off to the side watching me.

“no, not anymore at least… This is merely an illusion I have created. We are still within the concrete vault but you cannot see it. my abilities extend past that of regeneration, under certain circumstances I am able to trick the human mind into seeing what I want it to.” he stepped around me to approach the cave wall and touch it. 

“This is a mock visual of the place I once called home many, many years ago.” He lowered his head sadly, seemingly missing his old home. 

“This small space does not do it justice visually, nor physically.” His head turned back towards me.

I looked around the cave in wonder. in the far corner was a bed of moss and fur blankets that almost looked human-made. approaching the bedding i reached out touching to touch it. my eyes widened at the soft and amazing texture of the moss and fur. “it even feels real! This is amazing!”