chapter 6

Once again the coffee this morning was bitter and practically undrinkable no matter how much sugar or creamer I added to it. It left this sickening taste in my mouth that seemed to add to this nauseating feeling that something felt… off.

Sighing, I continued my walk to the observation labs, clipboard in hand. Today is s-59's sample day. The one day of the month that s-59 seems to dislike the most. Any other time it's usually pretty docile but when sample day comes along it turns hostile.

I'm not looking forward to it…

"Ava!" A feminine voice called out from behind. Stopping, I turned and looked back to she jade speed walking down the hall towards me. Once she finally caught up to me I continued my walk with her beside me. "Good morning ava! You look like you had a rough night! Did you and kerian  have fun?~"

I rolled my eyes at jade and glanced at my watch to see what time it was. "No, I simply didn't sleep well last night and the coffee has been god awful the past few days…"

Jade snickered with a grin on her face. "Suuure…" as I picked up the pace worried about being late she did her best to speed up with me. "Where are you rushing off to anyways?" She questioned and I gave her a look of disapproval. She should know what today is.

"It's sample day, I've been assigned to s-59  this month and the director is supposed to be there. I'd rather not get in trouble for being late. shouldn't you be looking for s-32?"

She paused for a moment, falling behind slightly before running up beside me once again. "Wait, you didn't see the email?" 

This time I paused and she followed suit. "What email?"

"The email that got sent out this morning! Sample day has been postponed, we are supposed to take the day off and resume normal working hours tomorrow."

Sample day, postponed? That's… impossible. 

The direction would sooner have half the facility staff be hospitalized than let sample day be canceled! I rushed through the hall towards the observation room for s-59 and jade called after me. "Hey where are you going?!"

As I approached the door I felt uneasy, seeing no guards posted outside. Pulling out my keyboard I swiped it over the scanner and the door slid open showing the empty dark viewing room.

I stood in the doorway in shock seeing the lights were off and no one inside, no director, no scientists or guards...no one.

 The blast doors for the window peering into the vault was also sealed shut and all the warning lights for the door were glowing bright green signifying that the room was vacant. 

My mind reeled with questions as I stepped inside. This area should be bustling with scientists and armed guards prepping for sampling.

Something seriously big must have happened for the director to have suddenly postponed the entire event.

Jade came up Behind me, panting slightly as she tried to catch her breath. "Seriously ava, how do you keep yourself so fit?! Is it because you spend so much time at the pool?" 

Ignoring jade I entered the room and sat down at one of the computer desks before logging in. I checked the working schedule and daily plans and sure enough it said sampling was postponed. Going to my email I opened it up to see one unread message.

Opening the email I read through it and sure enough it said sampling was postponed until further notice. That's it, no explanation, no expected delay time just that it's not happening today.

I should be relieved by the fact I don't have to worry about the sampling but the strangeness of it all has me anxious.

"Ava you okay?" I looked up to jade who was standing by the desk watching me curiously. Shaking my head I closed out of the email and leaned back in the chair. "Yeah, I'm just not sure what I'm going to do for the rest of the day…"