Chapter 5 - Tomorrow

As I made my way down the hallway, a faint melody reached my ears, drawing my attention toward the student council room.

"Hm? That sounds like a guitar," I mused to myself, curiosity piqued.

Sliding the door open quietly, I peeked inside, my gaze immediately drawn to Eli seated near the window.

A smile graced her lips as her fingers danced gracefully across the strings of the guitar, coaxing out a beautiful melody.

Mesmerized by the music, I found myself standing there, silently listening as the melody filled the room with its enchanting notes.

I gently pushed the door open further, causing Eli to stop playing abruptly, startled by my presence. "S-Secretary Nishihara, you were there?" she stammered.

"Yeah, I was mesmerized by your music, President Eli," I admitted with a smile.

Eli's cheeks flushed with color as she looked down shyly. "Uhm... Ahaha~ It's kinda embarrassing," she mumbled.

"Embarrassing? How?" I inquired, genuinely curious.

"Well... I mean... A girl who plays guitar..." Eli trailed off, her voice uncertain.

"That's not something you should be embarrassed about, President. I think it's pretty amazing," I reassured her.

"R-Really?" Eli looked up, her eyes wide with surprise.

"Yes, really!" I confirmed with a nod, offering her an encouraging smile.

"I'm flattered," Eli admitted, her cheeks tinted pink as she looked down.

"It's the truth."

Clearing her throat, Eli set the guitar aside and settled into her chair. "By the way... Tomorrow is going to be the event, right?"

"Yeah... The Welcoming Party."

"Do you have a speech ready for yourself?"

My eyes widened in surprise. "Eh?! Speech?! Me?"

"Pfft~ Ahaha~ You didn't know?"

"I... I didn't."

"Secretary Nishihara," she began, her voice measured yet tinged with a hint of vulnerability, "are you perhaps slacking off?"

Her words were laced with a playful smirk, but there was an underlying seriousness in her tone that made me think seriously.

I shook my head hurriedly, feeling a flush of embarrassment creeping up my neck.

"N-No, of course not! I just didn't realize I needed to prepare a speech."

Eli's smirk softened into a gentle smile, "Don't worry too much about it," she reassured me. "We still have time to prepare something together."

"Thank you, President Eli," I said with a relieved sigh.

As the silence settled between us, I couldn't help but feel a lingering curiosity gnawing at me. Gathering my courage, I decided to broach the subject that had been weighing on my mind.

"By the way... President," I began tentatively, "why are you opposed to the Idol Club?"

Eli's expression shifted, her features becoming more serious as she contemplated my question.

"Ah, that," she sighed, her gaze drifting to the window as if lost in thought. "Honestly, it's not so much about being opposed to the Idol Club as it is about my own aspirations."

I leaned in, eager to hear her explanation. "Your own aspirations?"

She nodded slowly, her eyes meeting mine with a determined gaze. "You see, I've always felt a responsibility to lead and make a difference, especially when it comes to saving our school."

I didn't expect her to open up to me that easily.

nodded slowly, Eli's words sinking in as I mulled over her perspective.

"I see... but still," I murmured, my thoughts swirling with conflicting emotions.

"It's not an easy decision, Secretary Nishihara, But sometimes, we must prioritize what we believe is best for the greater good."

Her words struck a chord within me, prompting me to reflect on my own beliefs.

"What about you? Secretary Nishihara? Do you support them?" Eli asked her gaze searching mine.

"I do."

I responded without hesitation as her eyes widened in surprise.

"Why? Do you not trust the Student Council?"

"It's not that I don't trust ourselves, President, but... because we're not the only ones who feel the same way when it comes to saving this school."

Eli fell silent, allowing me to continue.

"The more I watch the girls practice... The more I think that maybe... there's more of us who want to see this school standing. After all, we're not the only ones who feel the same way... We're not alone."

"Meaning?"

"It means that there are others who share our desire to see the school thrive,The girls in the Idol Club, are not just pursuing their dreams for themselves. They're doing it for the school, for everyone who believes in its potential."

"I see... Thank you for sharing your perspective, Secretary Nishihara. It's given me much to consider."

"You're welcome, President."

The room fell silent again as Eli and I exchanged smiles.

"With that being said, how about you start working on your speech?"

"Right now?"

"Well, yes," she replied cheerfully. "You'll need time to memorize it, after all."

"E-Eh?"

"Come on, Secretary Nishihara," Eli said with a teasing tone, her smile making me feel slightly uncomfortable.

"Ahaha... O-Okay."

Eli and I sat down to work on my speech, carefully crafting each word until it felt just right. Nozomi joined us later, offering her insights and suggestions to enhance the speech further.

With their help, I began memorizing the script, repeating it until the words flowed effortlessly from my lips.

As the first bell rang, signaling the end of our preparation time, we gathered our belongings and headed to our respective classrooms.

...

School lectures proceeded as usual, with me listening attentively and taking notes until lunchtime finally arrived.

I stretched and left the classroom, strolling down the hallway until something caught my eye: a flyer on the announcement board. Curious, I approached and examined it closely, a smile spreading across my face. "I can't wait for tomorrow."

As I turned to leave, I collided with someone, causing them to stumble and fall to the ground.

"O-Ow..." they groaned.

"Oh, I'm so sorry!" I hurriedly reached out to help them up.

The girl I bumped into had a slim figure, short brown hair, and dark purple eyes framed by glasses. She looked like a first-year student.

"N-No! I'm fine...!" She quickly regained her footing and straightened her skirt. "Well! Uhm! See you!" With a hurried bow, she darted away.

"H-Huh...?" I watched her go, feeling a bit perplexed by the encounter.

Reflecting on the encounter, I couldn't shake off the feeling that I had somehow mishandled the situation.

"Sigh..." I let out a breath.