Chapter 4 - What it means to be an Idol

"Aren't you... The Idol Research Club's president? Nico Yazawa-san?"

"Wh-What's that got to do with me?" Nico asked her tone suddenly went defensive.

"Well... Let's see. I realized that you're the only member of the club... There's a high chance for it to get disbanded, you know?"

"So?"

"So, why not join forces with them? They're serious about becoming idols, and with your knowledge and experience, you could help them improve."

"And why would I do that? What's in it for me?" Nico questioned skeptically.

"Well, for one thing, it would give you a chance to expand your influence and maybe even recruit more members for your club. Plus, you could show off your skills and prove that you're the real deal when it comes to idols."

Nico seemed to consider my words for a moment before shrugging. "Hmph. I'll think about it once I've watched them perform their first live."

"Really!?"

"But don't get any funny ideas, Nishihara-kun. I'll be watching you," she added with a sharp look.

"I wouldn't expect anything less from you, Yazawa-san."

With that, Nico turned on her heel and began to walk away, but I reached out and grabbed her hand, causing her to turn back to me with a surprised expression. "What is it?"

"Yazawa-san," I said, meeting her gaze.

"What?"

"Let's make a bet."

"What bet?" Nico asked, suddenly intrigued.

"If the girls manage to impress you... I want you to join them."

"Haa? No way in hell! I would teach them but I won't join them!"

"That's a bet... Like I said."

"Hmmm..." Nico mused, considering my offer. "Then... If they don't manage to impress me... I want you to make sure that they won't be able to mention the word 'idol' ever again!"

My eyes widened at her bold counteroffer, but I quickly composed myself.

"Do we have a deal?!"

"Yeah, it's a deal..."

"You seem confident."

"Yeah," I said flashing her a confident grin. "After all, I am confident that they will succeed!"

Nico's eyes widened slightly at my unwavering optimism. With that, we exchanged a nod of understanding before parting ways, each of us with our own thoughts about the bet we had just made.

An hour later, in the solitude of my bedroom, I found myself wrestling with a sense of uncertainty. The bold bet I had made with Yazawa-san weighed heavily on my mind.

Had I been too confident? I hadn't even seen the three of them perform yet. What if they weren't as impressive as I had imagined?

As I lay my head down on the pillow, a sigh escaped my lips, mingling with the quiet of the room.

Now what...?

Perhaps it was best to put my faith in tomorrow. They were likely practicing at the shrine as they usually did. Tomorrow would bring clarity, and I could gauge their progress firsthand.

The morning sun cast a warm glow over the shrine as I approached. Amidst the serene atmosphere, I spotted Nozomi, clad in the traditional shrine maiden attire, attending to her duties.