Day 14 of 100: Mememetrics

Visibly exhausted.

   That’s the expression on my parents’ face. Everyday they out in the world working extremely hard and all they want to do is come home to some peace and quiet. Guess that’s why they bought me a console. To keep me still.

   Yet they catch me in a moment where my commentary adds a little too much insult to injury.

   Technically, dependent on who you ask, it’s a huge part of the online gaming world.

   Regardless, I feel bad about it. I stare at the screen as if I lost interest in what I enjoy doing on a regular basis.

   In the kitchen, the kettle continues at its job and this gives me an idea.

   “Would you guys like some coffee?” It's the only thing I can think of to amend the earlier misunderstanding.

   “That would be lovely,” says my mommy.

   “Two sugars,” says my dad.

   This man’s never impressed with anything I do or offer to do. Being unemployed, and addicted to video games, doesn't help my case one bit.

   “How much sugars do you take mommy?”

   “You don't remember?”

   “Nah, I'm just curious to whether you've cut down like Dad has,” I reply, hoping my excuse is good enough.

   “If I cut down anything else from my cup of coffee.” She turns enough to half face me, “I might as well drink water.”

   “So that’s one coffee - no sugar?”

   “Don't forget the milk,” my dad pitches in.

   My parents sit by the table while I stand being entertained by the light show of the kettle. It changes colour as quickly as I swipe on TikTok.

   Ah, something to keep my mind mindlessly occupied.

   My password’s as short as the videos on my for-you-page and before the kettle can even start shaking, a woman appears shaking her ass instead.

   “Do you need me to turn it softer?” I ask my dad who glances at me when he hears the sound, or is it my screen he's trying to see? I can't tell for sure.

   “It's okay . . .” he says.

   I continue scrolling and come across an Instagram post instead of a video. A chuckle escapes from my mouth. For some unknown reason I feel obligated to show someone what I found funny, so I don't look stupid.

   “Hey, mommy.” I say, “Check this out.”

   I show her the phone and immediately the kettle shakes violently as if its trying to warn me, but it's too late. I’m already being interrogated.

   “Who is this?”

   Uhm .

   “What is happening?”

   Uhm . .

   “How do you know this person?”

   “Uhm . . . It's okay, mommy,” I slowly remove my phone from her hands. “Don't worry about it . . .”

   That's the last time I showed my mommy a meme.

. . .

Follow and Join the Journey!