VI: VINCENT (Bright Bows)

I stood in front of the bright, illuminated wooden stall. Its design gave off a similar ambiance to a wooden lodge, with lights and small chandeliers hanging from the roof, and small glowing crystals poking out at the corners. "Bright Bows," the stall's hanging sign read in glowing text. Inside the stall was a counter, similar to the desk that Pedro has in his shop, only a lot bigger. I looked over the counter, but there seemed to be nobody there.

"Why, hello there!" A man had suddenly jumped up out of nowhere. He looked almost identical to Pedro, except less hairy and more clothed.

"AHH!" I screamed, frightened.

The man gave me a sorry grin as I jumped back, clinging onto Theo. "Whoops! Did I scare you? Sorry about that!" I stared at him weirdly as I loosened my hands off of Theo. Why the hell—

"Welcome to Bright Bows, where we string your dreams, one bow at a time!" The man interrupted, blocking out my thoughts with his raspy words. "Is there anything that I could help you with?"

I restarted, clearing my throat to ask a proper question. "Umm... hello. Do you happen to be, Hauke? Hauke Raptis?"

"That's me!" The man seemed to have a very happy and lively character.

"Oh... ummm... perfect! A man named Pedro, Pedro Samaras, he told us that you are the best bowyer in all of Fysei. Is that correct?"

"Ah, Pedro, you say?" he raised his eyebrow. "Well, I don't like to brag, but yes. People do say that I'm the best bowyer in the Nation of Life.

Great! I am looking for a—" I stopped. Should I be doing this? Am I even worthy enough to buy a bow of my own right now? I looked at Theo and he nodded, sending me a look of assurance. I restarted, "I am looking for a bow to use in battle. I was hoping I could take a look at some of your wares if you don't mind."

"Looking to become a fighter?" Hauke exclaimed to me with a smile.

"Well, I guess you could say that I'm... trying something new," I said with a genuine smile.

Hauke grinned back. "That's always great! Let me pick out a few bows that I think you might like. Hmm... you seem like a... Bloomer."

He crouched back down again, so swift it seemed as if he vanished. I looked over the counter. Nobody. Where the hell—

"AHH!" I jumped, clinging back onto Theo again. Hauke popped back up out of nowhere, almost as if he just magically appeared. He had scared me once again. "Don't do that!" I rebuked.

"Sorry, sorry!" he grinned apologetically like before. "I just love to welcome my customers in my own unique way. Sometimes that involves appearing out of nowhere."

Was this guy serious? How is this man the number one bowyer in Fysei? He's so... immature.

I let go of Theo, still angry at the man for playing games with me.

"Anyways, what did you say your name was again?"

"Vincent Chaixius," I answered in a mildly irate tone.

"Well, Vincent, there are two things to know about bows," Hauke informed me. "Keep these two things in mind when you're in battle."

I sighed, brushing off the suppressive thoughts. "Understood."

"Unlike other bowyers and mentors who just teach positioning and aim, I like to teach my new customers about elemental practice," he explained. "First, you have to understand that there are two categories of bows: basic bows," he slammed a simple, small, brown bow on the counter, "and battle bows," he slammed a larger and more intricate green bow that looked fairly similar to Theo's.