⁰¹⁰ 𝐛𝐞𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐥

As I followed my mother through the endless hallways of Seattle Grace Hospital, my only comfort was my phone

As I followed my mother through the endless hallways of Seattle Grace Hospital, my only comfort was my phone. I already couldn't stand the smell of the disinfectant.

"Missy, would you please put that thing away and watch where you're going? This is a hospital, not a mall," my mother admonished me with that inimitable blend of authority and motherly concern.

"Unfortunately," I replied, not making an attempt to interrupt my mobile game. Mom stopped and looked me straight in the eyes, her patience clearly at an end.

"Missy, this is serious. We're not here for fun. Your father is working here, and I... I have duties too."

I looked up, a half-smile playing on my lips.

"Wow, Mom, I didn't know that 'duties' was the new code for 'stalking your ex-husband and his new girlfriend. I'll have to remember that."

"Missy!" Mom's voice sharpened, a clear sign that my comment had crossed a line. I sighed, put my phone in my pocket, and looked up.

"Okay, okay. I'm listening. Sort of."

We continued on, past rushing doctors and nurses, patients on gurneys, and all the drama of a hospital.

Finally, we reached a small gathering: my father, Derek, who was in the midst of a verbal sparring match with Dr. Burke. They seemed to be provoking each other, a spectacle so fascinating that it momentarily distracted me from my phone.

My mother, Addison, intervened with the grace of someone who knows how to make her presence felt. "Sorry to interrupt, Dr. Burke."

Burke, whose pride was as evident as the white coats here, replied with a charming smile.

"You're never interrupting."

My father Derek, clearly annoyed by the whole situation, couldn't resist a Comment.

"She's always interrupting."

My mother turned to him, deftly ignoring his comment, and continued. "I was checking to see if Dr. Burke secured the intern..."

Before she could finish, the woman from yesterday, Dad's new girlfriend, suddenly appeared out of nowhere.

"...the intern you requested? He did."

Dad looked confused as he shifted his gaze between Mom, Dr. Burke, and the unknown woman whose name, according to her ID, was Meredith Grey.

Mom gave him a mischievous smile, which he returned with a frown before turning back to Burke, who seemed equally amused.

Before I could even realize what was happening, I found myself alone with Burke while the others scattered in different directions.

A young intern, clearly lost in his own thoughts, walked past us and was immediately stopped by Burke.

"Karev, you will take Shepherd Junior with you today and bring her to Dr. Webber as soon as the doctors have finished his post-op exams."

Karev looked up, confused.

"Shepherd Junior?"

His gaze followed Burke's nod in my direction. There I was, still holding my phone, playing Angry Birds.

"I'm not going to play the baby-sitter here," Karev grumbled, clearly annoyed at the idea. Burke, with the authority of a man accustomed to being obeyed, fixed him with a look that brooked no argument.

"This is a personal command from the chief. Do you really think arguing is a wise decision?"

Karev opened his mouth to protest, but Burke didn't even give him the chance. "That's not a favor, Karev. It's an order. And believe me, you don't want to know what will happen if you disobey my orders."

With those words and a final warning look, he left Karev and me behind in the hallway.

I gave the resident my most innocent smile as I paused the game. Karev sighed, resigned, and turned to me.

"Come on, Shepherd Junior. Let's see if we can drop you off somewhere without you causing any trouble."

"Call me Shepherd Junior again and you'll wish your day had started with an appendectomy."