7- Perfect Harmony

"I don't understand why this is such a big deal!?" I asked my dad as I walked down the pathway leading to the back door.

"Julie, go inside."

"The big deal is after skipping school, missing a test, and lying to me about it, you decide to sneak out even though I told you to go to your room and study?" He scolded

"Tia was the one that told me, not you." I interrupted him.

"If you would have let me in, I would have been excited about tonight, instead of having this conversation we both hate. Why didn't you tell me you two were in a band?" He fiddled with his hat.

"It all just happened so fast, these last couple of weeks have changed our lives. Julie and I are connecting the way we were before mom died, I was scared you would put a stop to it and it would all vanish."

"And I love that, you know I do but your Tia is right, School needs to come first."

"Without the band, Julie wouldn't have gotten back into the program." I pointed out.

"It's true they played with me when I was trying to earn back my spot." Julie came back outside.

"I'd be a jerk of a dad if I stood in the way, so you both need to keep up with school, and you need to keep me in the loop."

"Thank you!" We both gave him a big hug.

— — —

"Jules you ready?" I yelled up the stairs.

"I got a spark in me, hands up if you're with me." I caught my dad singing while cooking breakfast, Reggie unbeknownst to dad was sitting on the counter.

"This is new!" I laughed, setting my backpack down on the barstool closest to me.

"Yeah. I was in the mood for breakfast."

"Me and your dad are pals now, though it seems one-sided it's a beautiful friendship I cherish deeply." Reggie Put his hands on his heart

"Look I was thinking about it and after last night I feel bad for costing you that opportunity with that manager, so I called in some favors and I booked you a local gig." He seemed so proud of himself.

"Oh my gosh you called your buddy from Drakes?" Julie joined the conversation.

"Not quite! I called Kelli and Flynn, and they are gonna help us throw a party. Here. Tonight." He clapped trying to get us more excited.

"Oh! So you booked us a gig at our house, I'm assuming outside my room." I acted surprised.

"I know it's not a lot but hear me out. You invite some of your friends over, you play with your band. I'll get some of my colleagues to get you both on film, that way you have something professional for your Youtube or whatever it's called."

"Thank you dad." I gave him a big hug and a kiss on the cheek before leaving for school.

_ _ _

"Hey!" Luke appeared after I shut my locker.

"You gotta stop poofing in and out without warning. What are you even doing here?"

"We need to talk about what song we are gonna play tonight? I was thinking 'Great'"

"Hold one... Hi thanks for calling."

"Val, that is literally so rude just taking a phone call in the middle of our conversation." Luke scoffed.

"I think 'Great' is a great choice."

"Sweet... Well, that was pretty much all I wanted to talk to you about. So... Actually there was another thing. Look, I know I'm not the easiest person to work with, but I... I wanted to tell you that I think you make me a better writer." He seemed to get all flustered.